Strong/weak acids/bases and their salts

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone requesting help with figuring out reactions involving different compounds and water. The reactions discussed include the combinations of NaCl, KNO3, NAHCOO, NaCH3COO, NH4NO3, CH3NH3Cl, K2CO3, Na2SO4, Na3PO4, and N2H6SO4 with H2O. The final reaction (10) is unclear and the person providing the summary is not confident in their understanding of chemistry.
future_vet
Hello,

You someone check my reactions, and help with the ones I could not figure out?
Thank you.

1) NaCl + H2O <=> NaOH + HCl

2) KNO3 + H2O <=> KOH + HNO3

3) NAHCOO + H2O <=> NaOH + HCOOH

4) NaCH3COO + H2O <=> NaOH + CH3COOH

5) NH4NO3 + H2O <=> NH4OH + HNO3

6) CH3NH3Cl + H2O <=> I don't know how to break up CH3NH3Cl. Would it be between CH3 and NH3Cl?

7) K2CO3 + H2O <=> K2O + H2CO3

8) Na2SO4 + H2O <=> Na2O + H2SO4

9) Na3PO4 + H2O <=> Na3O + H2PO4

10) N2H6SO4 + H2O <=> ?? N2H6 and SO4? Giving N2H6O and H2SO4? It doesn't sound right...

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has any idea?

wow the reactions are pretty tough.1-5 looks alrite to me and i think for reaction 6 rite...the product form is CH3NH4+ and CL-.

btw my chem is not so fantastic so believe at your own risk...haha~

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is a substance that completely dissociates into ions when in solution, while a weak acid only partially dissociates. This means that a strong acid has a higher concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in solution compared to a weak acid.

2. How do strong acids and weak acids affect the pH of a solution?

Strong acids have a pH closer to 0, while weak acids have a pH closer to 7. This is because strong acids have a higher concentration of H+ ions, which makes the solution more acidic. Weak acids have a lower concentration of H+ ions, making the solution less acidic.

3. What is the difference between a strong base and a weak base?

A strong base is a substance that completely dissociates into hydroxide ions (OH-) when in solution, while a weak base only partially dissociates. This means that a strong base has a higher concentration of OH- ions in solution compared to a weak base.

4. How do strong bases and weak bases affect the pH of a solution?

Strong bases have a pH closer to 14, while weak bases have a pH closer to 7. This is because strong bases have a higher concentration of OH- ions, which makes the solution more basic. Weak bases have a lower concentration of OH- ions, making the solution less basic.

5. What are salts and how are they formed from acids and bases?

Salts are ionic compounds formed when an acid and a base react with each other. The acid donates a proton (H+) to the base, forming a water molecule, while the remaining ions combine to form the salt. Salts can be either acidic, basic, or neutral depending on the strength of the acid and base used to form them.