Trying to find Velocity and Kinetic Energy

In summary, the problem involves a 4.0 kg mess kit sliding on a frictionless surface that explodes into two 2.0 kg parts, one moving at 3.0 m/s due north and the other at 5.0 m/s, 30 degrees north of east. The original speed of the mess kit can be found using the equation (1/2)m_1(V^2) = (1/2)m_2(V^2) + W_nc, where the left hand side is conserved. The quantity conserved in this problem is momentum.
Rhaen
The problem is as follows:

A 4.0 kg mess kit sliding on a frictionless surface explodes
into two 2.0 kg parts, one moving at 3.0 m/s, due north, and
the other at 5.0 m/s, 30 degrees north of east. (a) What is
the original speed of the mess kit. (b) How much kinetic
energy was added to the mess kit by the explosion?

I don't know exactly how to get started with this though I know that there would not be any potential energy so we would have the equation:

K_1 = K_2
(1/2)m_1(V^2) = (1/2)m_2(V^2)

But because the explosion adds kinetic energy to the equation through a non-conservative force we would have the equation:

K_1 + W_nc = K_2
(1/2)m_1(V^2) + W_nc = (1/2)m_2(V^2)

Is this correct in my understanding and if so, where would I go from here to get the original velocity? Thank you very much for your time.

-Rhaen-

Physics news on Phys.org
Which quantity is conserved here?

Last edited:
It would be the left hand side that is conserved which would make:

(1/2)m_1(V^2) = (1/2)m_2(V^2) + W_nc

But what would I do after that if that is the correct equation?

-Rhaen-

I was thinking more of momentum.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position of an object by the time it took for that change to occur. In other words, velocity = displacement / time.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by taking half of the mass of an object and multiplying it by the square of its velocity. In equation form, it is expressed as KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.

How are velocity and kinetic energy related?

Velocity and kinetic energy are directly proportional. This means that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, as an object's velocity decreases, its kinetic energy decreases.