E fields from charged rods

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help on behalf of their boyfriend who is studying fields and devices in electronic engineering. The boyfriend is struggling with understanding an equation that involves a primed and unprimed variable. The person is hoping to find someone who can help their boyfriend with the equation.
charlotty
now, i have absolutely no idea what the heck that means, and doubt i ever will, but my boyfriend is doing a dgree in electronic engineering and is studying fields and devices at the moment and is really stuck so i was wondering if anyone could help!

His notes say "the total e field is the vector sum over all the N charges. If we line up our axes so that the charges are on the x-axis then we get..."
a really long equation. (i would write it here, but there's no way to get all the equations symbols!)

THe equation has a x' in it, and he has no idea what the notation means.

im probably not making any sense to anyone, but i just wanted to see if i could help him (im studying for a law degree so this is all spanish to me!)

thanks so much,

charlotty

Physics news on Phys.org
Often a primed variable is used to indicate the position of a source while an unprimed variable is the observation point. Why not have your boyfriend post his question here?

Hi Charlotty,

I can understand how confusing this must be for you since you are not familiar with the subject matter. I will do my best to explain the concept of E fields from charged rods in simple terms.

First, we need to understand what an E field is. E field stands for electric field, which is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its vicinity. In other words, it is a measure of the force that an electric charge exerts on other charges.

Now, let's talk about charged rods. A charged rod is simply a rod made of a conducting material (such as metal) that has an excess or deficiency of electrons, making it positively or negatively charged. When these charged rods are brought close to each other, they will interact with each other through their electric fields.

The equation your boyfriend is trying to understand is most likely the mathematical expression for the total electric field at a point due to multiple charged rods. The x' in the equation is most likely a coordinate representing the position of the point where the electric field is being calculated.

I would suggest that your boyfriend consult his professor or classmates for further clarification on the notation and equations. It is important to fully understand the concepts and equations in order to solve problems and apply them in real-world situations.

I hope this explanation helps. Best of luck to your boyfriend in his studies!

What are "E fields"?

"E fields" refer to electric fields, which are a type of force field that surrounds charged objects and affects other charged objects within its vicinity.

What are "charged rods"?

"Charged rods" are objects that have an excess of either positive or negative charges, resulting in an electric field around them. Examples of charged rods include metal rods that have been rubbed with a cloth or plastic rods that have been rubbed with a fur.

How are "E fields" created by charged rods?

When a charged rod is brought near another object, the excess charges on the rod will interact with the charges on the object, creating an electric field. The strength and direction of the electric field depends on the amount and type of charges on the rod and the distance between the rod and the object.

What is the relationship between the strength of the electric field and the distance from the charged rod?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the charged rod increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the rod.

Can "E fields" from charged rods be shielded or blocked?

Yes, "E fields" can be shielded or blocked by certain materials such as metal, which can conduct the excess charges away from the rod. This is why metal is commonly used to create a Faraday cage, which can block electric fields from entering or exiting a space.