Advice on purchasing new laptop

• Thread starter piano_girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the best laptop for engineers may vary depending on the programs that the engineer plans to use and the preferences of the engineer.
piano_girl
I am planning on purchasing a new laptop. Now that I'm in grad school for engineering, I need something with very high processing speeds and good graphics. The programs I plan to run are: ProE, Fluent, NASTRAN/PATRAN (finite element), a Robotics simulation program, CAD, Inventor 11, MATLAB, and Mathematica. What is the best laptop for engineers, in your opinion?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
A top of the line Dell, the programs you listed are memory hogs and require as much memroy as possible along with the fastest graphics cards.

Because the reason to by a laptop is portability, you should give us an idea of what your expectations are in terms of size/weight and battery life. Next biggest deciding factor is price range.

In general I suggest you get a dual core processor (I like AMD), with 1-2 GB of ram, upgradeable to 4GB.

I hope you will also have a desktop workstation for the serious work, these are much cheaper and faster.

Size/weight really isn't an issue. I'm willing to pay up to $1600 for a new laptop.

If you could give me some links to specific models, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to repeat the question as to whether or not you will have a desktop workstation or access to a computing facility. Some engineering computational tasks (e.g. finite-element analysis) can take hours, days, or even weeks, so it would be preferrable to have a desktop workstation devoted to those tasks and to use the laptop for more everyday tasks (CAD, word processing, etc., and/or to control or access the desktop remotely). Running week-long tasks on a laptop turns it into a small, slow, and pricey desktop.

Honestly, for great reliability rating, and awesome processing speeds, my 2 labtops of choice are TOSHIBA and IBM Think Pads

You can't go wrong with Lenovo ThinkPad T series, in short they pack more features than a swiss army knife with a build quality of a tank. I have T43 and I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a T60.

As Toshibas goes I strongly advice against buying a Toshiba. I know 2 persons who bought a Toshiba laptop only to have it send back for repairs in matters of months.

haki said:
You can't go wrong with Lenovo ThinkPad T series, in short they pack more features than a swiss army knife with a build quality of a tank. I have T43 and I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a T60.

As Toshibas goes I strongly advice against buying a Toshiba. I know 2 persons who bought a Toshiba laptop only to have it send back for repairs in matters of months.

I have a Toshiba A4. I've had it for about a year and a half now, maybe even longer. I've had a few keys fall off, but there's been no hardware failure at all. 2 people with bad laptops doesn't necessarily mean that the thousands upon thousands up laptops a brand creates will be bad, or even enough of a number to create an accurate generalization.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when purchasing a new laptop?

The most important factors to consider when purchasing a new laptop are your budget, the intended use of the laptop, the processor speed, the amount of RAM, and the storage capacity. These factors will determine the overall performance and functionality of the laptop.

2. Should I go for a higher processor speed or more RAM?

It depends on your specific needs. A higher processor speed is ideal for tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as gaming or video editing. More RAM is beneficial for multitasking and running multiple programs at once. Consider your intended use of the laptop to determine which factor is more important for you.

3. What is the difference between a solid-state drive (SSD) and a hard disk drive (HDD)?

A solid-state drive (SSD) uses flash memory to store data, making it faster and more reliable than a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) which uses spinning disks. SSDs are also more expensive but offer better performance and durability. HDDs, on the other hand, are more affordable and offer larger storage capacity.

4. Is it worth investing in a touchscreen laptop?

It depends on your personal preference and the intended use of the laptop. Touchscreen laptops can be more convenient for tasks such as drawing or note-taking, but they are typically more expensive. If you do not see yourself using the touchscreen feature often, it may not be worth the extra cost.

5. Should I consider the brand when purchasing a new laptop?

Yes, the brand can play a role in the overall quality and reliability of the laptop. It is important to research and read reviews on different brands to determine which ones have a good reputation for producing high-quality laptops. However, it is also important to consider the specific model and its specifications rather than just the brand name.