Computing luminosity from surface brightness

In summary, to find the central luminosity per square parsec of a galaxy with central surface brightness I(0) = 15 mag arcsec^-1, we first need to convert the surface brightness to magnitudes per square parsec. Then, we can use the formula for absolute magnitude to find the central luminosity, and finally convert it to multiples of the solar bolometric luminosity per square parsec.
v0id

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the central luminosity per square parsec of a galaxy with central surface brightness [tex]I(0) = 15 \; mag \; arcsec^{-1}[/tex]. I need the answer to be in multiples of the solar bolometric luminosity per square parsec.

Homework Equations

[tex]m_1 - m_2 = 100^{\frac{1}{5}}\log{\left(\frac{F_1}{F_2}\right)} = (2)\left(100^{\frac{1}{5}}\log{\left(\frac{d_1}{d_2}\right)}\right)[/tex]
(the formula for absolute magnitude follows easily be letting [tex]d_2 = 10 \; pc[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that surface brightness is independent of distance (for nearby objects, at least). Since 1 arcsec spans a distance of 10 A.U at [tex]d = 10 \; pc[/tex], finding the galaxy's magnitude per square parsec should be easy (computed to be 3.5236E-14). But if I try to find the Sun's magnitude per square parsec - [tex]\frac{4.83}{4 \pi R_{sun}^2}[/tex] where [tex]R_{sun}[/tex] is expressed in parsecs - I get very large number. This leads me to believe that my reasoning itself is faulty.

What is the correct way to approach this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. The correct way to approach this problem is to first convert the central surface brightness from magnitudes per arcsecond squared to magnitudes per square parsec. This can be done by using the formula:

I = m + 2.5log(A),
where I is the surface brightness in magnitudes per square parsec, m is the surface brightness in magnitudes per arcsecond squared, and A is the conversion factor (in square arcseconds per square parsec).

For a galaxy with central surface brightness I(0) = 15 mag arcsec^-1, the conversion factor would be A = 206265^2 = 4.259E10 square arcseconds per square parsec. Plugging in this value, we get:

I = 15 + 2.5log(4.259E10) = 15 + 2.5(10.63) = 15 + 26.57 = 41.57 mag/pc^2.

Next, we can use the formula for absolute magnitude to find the central luminosity per square parsec of the galaxy:

M = m - 5log(d) + 5,
where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance in parsecs.

Since we are assuming a distance of d = 10 pc, we can set d_2 = 10 pc and solve for M:

M = 41.57 - 5log(10) + 5 = 36.57 mag/pc^2.

To convert this to multiples of the solar bolometric luminosity per square parsec, we can use the fact that the absolute bolometric magnitude of the Sun is 4.83. Thus, the central luminosity per square parsec of the galaxy would be:

L = 10^(-0.4(M-M_sun)) = 10^(-0.4(36.57-4.83)) = 10^(-12.14) = 4.12E-13 L_sun/pc^2.

Therefore, the central luminosity per square parsec of the galaxy is approximately 4.12 times the solar bolometric luminosity per square parsec. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

The correct way to approach this problem is to use the formula for luminosity, which is L = 4 \pi d^2 F, where L is the luminosity, d is the distance, and F is the flux or surface brightness. In this case, we can rearrange the formula to solve for L:

L = \frac{F}{4 \pi d^2}

Since we are looking for the central luminosity per square parsec, we can substitute d = 1 pc. This gives us:

L = \frac{F}{4 \pi}

Now we can plug in the given surface brightness, I(0) = 15 mag arcsec^{-1}, and convert it to flux using the formula F = 10^{-0.4I(0)}. This gives us:

L = \frac{10^{-0.4(15)} \; mag \; arcsec^{-1}}{4 \pi} = 1.02E-14 \; L_\odot \; pc^{-2}

where L_\odot is the solar bolometric luminosity. Therefore, the central luminosity per square parsec of the galaxy is approximately 1.02 times the solar bolometric luminosity.

1. What is surface brightness?

Surface brightness is the amount of light that is emitted or reflected from a given area of an object's surface. It is typically measured in units of magnitudes per square arcsecond.

2. How is surface brightness related to luminosity?

Luminosity is the total amount of energy a star or other celestial object emits per unit time. Surface brightness is one of the factors used to calculate luminosity, along with distance and size. Essentially, surface brightness is a measure of how much light is spread out over a given area, while luminosity is the total amount of light emitted by an object.

3. What is the formula for computing luminosity from surface brightness?

The formula for computing luminosity from surface brightness is L = 4πd²μ, where L is luminosity, d is the distance to the object, and μ is the surface brightness in magnitudes per square arcsecond.

4. What are the units of luminosity?

Luminosity is typically measured in units of watts (W) or solar luminosities (L☉). One solar luminosity is equal to the luminosity of our Sun, which is approximately 3.828 x 10²⁶ W.

5. Why is computing luminosity from surface brightness important in astronomy?

Luminosity is a key factor in understanding the properties and evolution of celestial objects. By accurately calculating luminosity from surface brightness, scientists can determine the energy output and mass of stars, galaxies, and other objects, which can provide valuable insights into their formation and behavior.