Designing a Circuit: Choosing Resistor Values for V = 5.5V

There is no specific value for I_s, and without Vcc, you can't find one. So "using a voltage divider" is not really an option.In summary, the problem asks for the selection of resistor values (1 kilo ohm, 3.3 kilo ohm, 4.7 kilo ohm, 10 kilo ohm) to obtain a voltage of 5.5 V. The solution involves using a current divider and trial and error to find the value of Is, which can then be used to determine the appropriate values for R1 and R2. However, without knowing the value of Vcc, the problem remains inexact and the use of a voltage divider is not a viable
dazedoutpinoy

Homework Statement

Choosing from the following resistors values (they may be used more than once), set is, R1, R2, to obtain V = 5.5 V

[1 kilo ohm, 3.3 kilo ohm, 4.7 kilo ohm, 10 kilo ohm]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't actually sure how to attempt this problem my textbook didn't really cover any examples of this. I included the figure needed to solve the problem, just any advice on how to start on it would be great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/dazedoutpinoy/CircuitHomework001.jpg" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dazedoutpinoy said:

Homework Statement

Choosing from the following resistors values (they may be used more than once), set is, R1, R2, to obtain V = 5.5 V

[1 kilo ohm, 3.3 kilo ohm, 4.7 kilo ohm, 10 kilo ohm]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't actually sure how to attempt this problem my textbook didn't really cover any examples of this. I included the figure needed to solve the problem, just any advice on how to start on it would be great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/dazedoutpinoy/CircuitHomework001.jpg" [Broken]

Use current divider. This problem is more of a trial & error.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the value of Is? Once you know Is, then you know what R1 // R2 has to be.

V = IR

lol ... um, seriously, you can't really do anything with the values you did give. You would need to know your Vcc I'm guessing and then use a Voltage Divider...The question is way too inexact.

Something is wrong with this problem. Are you sure you didn't get a value for [tex]I_s[/tex]? Here's why I'm asking:

To find V you need:

[tex]V = IR[/tex]

Since the circuit you have is parallel, you can rewrite the above equation:

[tex]V = I_s(\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1 + R_2})[/tex]

Now re-arranging to solve for I:

[tex]I_s = \frac{V(R_1 + R_2)}{R_1R_2)}[/tex]

You have the value of [tex]V[/tex], and plugging in different values of [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex] will simply give you different values of [tex]I_s[/tex], which would all be correct to the values of the resistors.

So either I'm missing something, or this problem is explained wrong.

1. How do I determine the resistor values needed for a circuit with a voltage of 5.5V?

To determine the resistor values for a circuit with a voltage of 5.5V, you will need to use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the desired current (I) to calculate the resistance (R). You can also use an online resistor calculator to simplify this process.

2. What is the purpose of choosing specific resistor values for a circuit?

The purpose of choosing specific resistor values for a circuit is to regulate the flow of current and ensure that the voltage remains constant. This helps to prevent damage to components and ensures the circuit functions properly.

3. How do I know which resistor values to choose for my specific circuit?

The resistor values you choose will depend on the desired current, as well as the type and size of components in your circuit. It is important to refer to the datasheets for your components to determine their recommended operating currents and voltages.

4. Can I use any resistor values for a circuit with a voltage of 5.5V?

While there may be a range of resistor values that can work for a circuit with a voltage of 5.5V, it is important to choose values that will not exceed the maximum recommended current or voltage for your components. It is best to consult the datasheets and use an online resistor calculator to ensure the appropriate values are chosen.

5. What happens if I use the wrong resistor values for my circuit?

If you use incorrect resistor values, it can result in a range of issues such as unstable voltage, overheating of components, or even damage to the circuit. It is important to carefully select the appropriate resistor values to ensure the circuit functions properly and safely.