How to make a brick making machine ?

• Thread starter zyhlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, Zeelo was looking for help making a brick making machine and found that there are many different designs and prices for machines. He has a budget of $1000 USD and is looking for a material list and information on how to build the machine.
zyhlo
Hello Engineers,

Can anyone help me make a brick making machine ?

Does anyone have experience in these type of machines ?

HELP PLEASEEE!

Thanks.

Zeelo

Engineering news on Phys.org
The machines i have seen have a vibrator which presses down the mixture into the mould then the mould releases the bricks into a board which is left outside to dry & harden.

What research have you done so far? I did a quick search on wikipedia.org, and they have a pretty helpful background page on bricks and brick making:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick

I also did a google search on "brick making machine", and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list for you to look through:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="brick+making+machine"

That first non-ad hit about a video of a brick pressing machine might be what you are looking for, no?

http://www.earthuprising.com/machine.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that the machines are too expensive.

The machines major process is the vibrater process & the mould, is it possible to make each component separately & build the machine complete.

Please let me know.

Just how many bricks do you plan on making, and more importantly, how many at one time? That makes a huge difference to how it would be approached.

You say these machines are too expensive and that you need a vibrator for mixing and a moulder for the end result. Motel 6 has vibrating beds and you can maybe find a mould at some kind of fabric/hobby center.

Is this a school project or an independent business?

I have contacted some chinese manufacturers but the prices for these machines are too high. His videos on using the machine are in this link:

http://www.youku.com/v_playlist/f273938o9p1.html

This is a home business for me. The small machines usually make 15000 bricks per 8 hours & 10 - 20 prices per mould press.

Please have a look at the videos & let me know if i can build a machine like this.

Thanks, you guys are a great help.

I can't possibly check out all of those videos now, but from the one I did look at it seems like a pretty simple process. The cyclic limit would appear to be based upon how long the bricks have to cure under pressure rather than any mechanical constraint. Presumeably, that would in turn be based upon the moisture content of your mix.
I have a couple of ideas, but will wait until I get to work before digging into them.

edit: Okay, I've checked them out. I assume that you want an automatic or semi-automatic unit that won't leave crap all over the floor or make you fill and empty the moulds manually (such as the yellow units in the clips). You can definitely build one (or have one built for you), but I don't know that it would be any cheaper than buying a used one. Although I don't recommend it, I think that you could replace the hydraulics with a good strong electric motor and a bunch of cam pieces. That would probably save a few bucks, but would be an inferior design. What kind of building budget do you have in mind?

Last edited:
Hi Danger, my budget is $1000 USD, would that be enough?

Could you pretty please give me a list of the material that i need so i could do research, i would really appreciate that!

Thanks.

You can't really estimate what material you need until a design is at least semi-finalized. The type of material that you need will start with channel or box steel for the structural bits (at least 1/4" wall thickness) and 3/8 - 1/4" flat mild steel for linkages and brackets.
There'll also be wire, switches and connectors for an electrical unit, or all of the hydraulic lines, fittings, and such for that type of power, along with misc. nuts and bolts.
Then there are the tools that you will need to buy or rent, such as a welder, chop saw, etc..
Whether or not your budget will be adequate will really depend upon your shopping skills. A local scrap yard or auto wrecker will probably sell you used steel for a reasonable price. Even a manufacturing outfit might, since they get it pretty cheaply in bulk.
I'm once again in the position of trying to respond while getting ready for work, so I'll have to leave any 'figgering' until later.
By the bye, how much pressure does it have to exert in the mould?

Hi Danger, thanks for the reply. Lucky me i have friends in many places :)

The pressure will be around 50 Bars, each brick should be at least 25 Bar strong. I do not mind building it on my own, what is the list of items that i need?

You have been a great help! thanks alot!

Again, you can't have a list of materials until you have the design. Do you want to make one exactly like those in the videos? If so, which model? I can see you getting very sore very quickly if you choose to do the loading and unloading manually. There is again the question of electric or hydraulic (or some combination thereof).

If affording the machine is a problem, how can you afford a kiln? Or to operate one?

Green brick isn't very maketable, except for adobes.

Well, there's something that I never thought of. A small amount of money, however, could be saved by incorporating the moulding machine and the kiln into one unit.
In any case, there will have to be some really serious scavenging/bartering/borrowing skill involved to get even the moulder done on budget. I would seriously recommend taking out a small-business or personal loan for another grand, if possible.
Another material source that should be checked is bankruptcy or other industrial auctions. Things like hydraulic and electrical equipment, conveyor systems, heating units, structural steel, etc. can sometimes be had for ridiculously low prices. Some necessary tools might also turn up at one.
Again, though, I need Zyhlo to tell me what he wants for a design. It's impossible to even begin figuring out what's needed until I know what sort of machine he wants and what tools he already has available.

How, exactly, do you plan on getting 50 bar pressure out of something that is less than a grand? The hydraulics press alone will be around that for a very small unit.

If this is a home business, you need to treat this like a business. Your capital expenditure for your equipment is the number one cost. The quality of the product will depend on it. Don't take short cuts. If you do, what do you think will be the end result as far as product quality is concerned?

Good point, Jim.

Was anyone able to design a brick making machine.

I don't know; I quit thinking about it after zyhlo failed to reappear. It would seem that he gave up after realizing what it would cost.

Danger said:
I don't know; I quit thinking about it after zylo failed to reappear. It would seem that he gave up after realizing what it would cost.

I want to pursue this. Can you help ?

I'll be glad to try. Keep in mind that I'm not a professional at any of this stuff; I just like to design things.
To start with, then, go back over the previous posts and come up with the answers that the OP didn't deliver. A lot more information is needed before a design can even be thought of.

Brick making machine

Danger said:
I'll be glad to try. Keep in mind that I'm not a professional at any of this stuff; I just like to design things.
To start with, then, go back over the previous posts and come up with the answers that the OP didn't deliver. A lot more information is needed before a design can even be thought of.

Can i get the complete desgin to build for my own purpose. It will be very thanks for you.

can i get the complete design to build for my own purpose.

It depends on too many things. Here are pictures of a rudimentary machine, that you can scale down.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/1977-09-01/This-Brickmaking-Machine-Makes-Nothing-But-Money.aspx

Bull's Trench kiln:
http://www.basin.info/gate/bull.htm

Clay brick has to be fired. You can make cement brick (like cinderblock) without a firing kiln, but the materials are far more expensive.

kaukerr said:

Try the link below for information.
They made some test blocks out of material from my gravel pit about 10 years ago.
The small machine was around 20K, and could be gas or electric.

Not sure if the same man owns the company today, but he was very helpful when i needed information.:smile:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/fwehman/index.html

That's a nice link, Ron. Thanks.

Danger said:
That's a nice link, Ron. Thanks.

Thanks Danger
Looking through the site, i see that Lawrence Jetter still is active as a contact.
A small group of people could get together and purchase a small machine, and if their area has the right materials, they might all get some real savings on homes and landscaping.

I have had a continued interest in one of these machines, the blocks that were made for me 10 or more years ago are still in good shape, a few were in the ground as landscape blocks, and two were left in the open, where they were exposed to the elements, and did show some erosion on the upper corners, and edges, but still pretty much in tact.

The machines are well engineered, and constructed, if someone has good fabrication skills they might be able to construct their own machine, but would most likely come out with a cost close to the machine that Lawrence builds.

The site really does have some good information about how to use materials that are dirt cheap.:wink:

I have two DunBrik machines ( one never used still in the crate) that I
acquired when purchasing a property. I have been trying to get manuals for
them or I would sell them reasonably.

I can be contacted by return email or on my cell at 765-624-9342

I have a few samples of the bricks made if you are interested.

Thanks,

George W. King Pres.
Greensboro Sand & Gravel LLC
4667 West 350 South
Knightstown, In. 46148

765-624-9342

You can find complete information within this website

http://www.bricks-machine.com

Qymtash Mnasbh time and quality
I have used the technology keller Lmanh
The catalog is going to look at the film and the device is working

Вы можете найти полную информацию на этом сайте

http://www.bricks-machine.com

Qymtash Mnasbh времени и качества
Я использовал технологию Келлер Lmanh
Каталог будет выглядеть в фильме и устройство работает

1. What materials are needed to make a brick making machine?

The main materials needed to make a brick making machine are steel, wood, and mechanical components such as gears and motors. Other materials may vary depending on the specific design and features of the machine.

2. Is it difficult to make a brick making machine?

The difficulty level of making a brick making machine depends on your skill level and access to materials and tools. Some designs may be more complex than others, but with proper planning and knowledge, it is possible to build a functioning machine.

3. How much does it cost to make a brick making machine?

The cost of making a brick making machine can vary greatly depending on the materials and components used, as well as the size and complexity of the machine. It is important to do thorough research and create a budget before starting the project.

4. Can a brick making machine be automated?

Yes, a brick making machine can be automated by using motors and sensors to control the production process. This can increase efficiency and reduce the need for manual labor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when making a brick making machine?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling materials and operating machinery. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines while building and using the machine.