Discovering the Sun's New Twin: HD 101364

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, astronomers have identified a star named HD 101364 that is a very close match to our own sun in terms of mass, temperature, and chemical composition. It is 220 light-years from Earth and is considered to be the best twin to our sun yet seen. This discovery is significant because stars like the sun are rare in our Milky Way galaxy, making up only 4% of all stars, and stars that are identical to our sun are even rarer. The previous best example, a star called 18 Scorpii, was found 10 years ago. The discovery of HD 101364 suggests that the star may be a billion years older than our sun, giving any potential life on its orbiting planet even more time
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I heard this the other day on a radio science program.

Astronomers have identified a yellow star they say is the best twin to our own sun yet seen. In other words, it's a star that's almost identical to the sun. And that's interesting because our sun shines on a life-bearing planet.

But stars like the sun are rare, according to astronomers. They account for only 4 percent of all stars in our Milky Way galaxy. And stars exactly like our sun must be even more rare. Scientists reported the previously best known example - a star named 18 Scorpii - ten years ago.

Now Jorge Melendez at Mount Stromlo Observatory in Australia and Ivan Ramirez at the University of Texas at Austin say they've found an even better solar twin. Its name is HD 101364. It is 220 light-years from Earth.

These astronomers say the star's mass, temperature, and chemical composition appear to match the sun's exactly. But the star may emit slightly more light than our sun. Since sun-like stars brighten as they age, this suggests the star may be a billion years older than our sun.

But that difference might actually be good news for extraterrestrial life seekers. It means an orbiting planet has had even more time to give rise to life than Earth has.
from http://www.Earth'sky.org/radioshows/51873/the-sun-has-a-twin

The star that is the sun's new twin - HD 101364 - also has the name HIP 56948.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4290 - HIP 56948: A Solar Twin With a Low Lithium Abundance

http://kencroswell.com/HD98618.html

http://kencroswell.com/18scorpii.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting article. However, if the sun is 1 billion years older than ours, that would suggest that if there is life on that solar system, it would be far superior to ours. So, how come they have not reached us yet. If we our sun is so identical, wouldn't they have picked up the similarities as well? Then again there could be life but maybe not nearly as advanced as us.

Ah, it's not a longlost binary companion, then.

Ironside said:
Interesting article. However, if the sun is 1 billion years older than ours, that would suggest that if there is life on that solar system, it would be far superior to ours. So, how come they have not reached us yet. If we our sun is so identical, wouldn't they have picked up the similarities as well? Then again there could be life but maybe not nearly as advanced as us.
I think the estimate on age is +/- 1 billion yrs. I think the sun and HD 101364 are more or less the same in size, class and luminosity, but that doesn't necessarily imply simliarity with respect to a planetary system. On the other hand, that is very interesting if the sun formed with a planetary system and HD 101364 did not.

Astronuc said:
I think the estimate on age is +/- 1 billion yrs. I think the sun and HD 101364 are more or less the same in size, class and luminosity, but that doesn't necessarily imply simliarity with respect to a planetary system. On the other hand, that is very interesting if the sun formed with a planetary system and HD 101364 did not.
True, there are a lot of factors to be considered, really all humanity can do is wait to advance in technology good enough to take us to other solar systems. For now we can only guess.

Astronuc said:

It's very true that an important factor is the probability that a sun similar to ours has planets orbiting it (isn't it one of the factors in the Drake equation?). And then there is the probability that a planet would be in the habitable range of possible orbits...and then that life would have formed and so on.

But still, I find that the most exciting aspect is that a star so similar to ours has been found so darn close! I bet people will aim telescopes at it and listen in the water hole region of teh spectrum.

Assuming that there are "people" there and that they would not be aiming any directed signals at us but that they have been broadcasting for more than 220 years, I assume that our technology is not advanced enough to monitor such stray signals from such a distance?

1. What is HD 101364 and why is it significant?

HD 101364 is a newly discovered star that is similar to our Sun in terms of size, composition, and age. It is significant because it could potentially provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our own Sun, and potentially the formation of other stars and planets.

2. How was HD 101364 discovered?

HD 101364 was discovered using data from the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite, which is designed to map the positions and movements of stars in our galaxy. Scientists analyzed the data and found that HD 101364 had a similar mass and composition to our Sun.

3. What makes HD 101364 a "twin" of the Sun?

HD 101364 is considered a twin of the Sun because it has a similar mass, temperature, and composition. It is also estimated to be around the same age as our Sun, making it a valuable comparison for studying the evolution of our own star.

4. Could HD 101364 have planets orbiting it?

It is possible that HD 101364 has planets orbiting it, but this has not been confirmed yet. Further studies and observations will be needed to determine if there are any planets orbiting this star.

5. How does the discovery of HD 101364 impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of HD 101364 provides scientists with a valuable opportunity to study a star that is very similar to our own Sun. This can help improve our understanding of the formation and evolution of stars and planets, and potentially shed light on the conditions that are necessary for life to exist. It also highlights the vastness and diversity of the universe, and the potential for discovering more "twins" of our Sun in the future.