Good Chemistry Book for Self-Study: Tips & Recommendations

In summary, a beginner's chemistry book that is also comprehensive is Pauling's. It is a Dover publication and is moderately priced.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I didn't really learn chemistry in HS but I need to know the basics for a thermodynamics course. I have the option to take a chemistry course but I don't have the time. So I started to read a HS chemistry book but it was all so ad hoc that I didn't feel as if I'd learned anything - it was more like memorizing lists of facts and so I forgot most of it after a month. Can anyone recommend a beginners chemistry book that also gives you an understanding of how things work? It should also be good for a self-study with problems and stuff.
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think there's a book quite as good as Pauling's. I've used Zumdahl, Silberberg and a couple of others, so I can say this with some degree of authority. It's a Dover publication, it's very cheap. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486656225/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I can offer my current https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073221031/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Downside: He isn't very clear on the mathematical portions, sometimes. But I struggle with math more than I struggle with concepts once the math is learned. Plus, it is a college textbook, so it's a bit on the pricey side. Upside: It's pretty thorough, and remains general throughout the book, giving an overview of several branches of Chemistry. The index is good, and there are answers to problems in the back of the book. The questions he asks are pretty rigorous, but suplemented by questions mid-chapter, that test your knowledge on the section you just read. Plus, I think their is online support, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I can't offer more. I'm just a student, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want some good chemistry books,don't buy 'em.:rolleyes:
I find most books somewhat expensive.
Instead,try finding some ebooks or chemistry sites.

If you want I can send you somegood links and ****.Just send me a message.

u can always try to use a torrent to find pdf files of chem textbooks..but there are book stores that mite sell used old chem books..the content is great for a cheap price..

there rly isn't one stop shop for it though

Maybe try the book Chemistry for Everyone. It's more of a high-school level introduction and will give you the basics so that the textbook stuff will be easier to understand. Most of chemistry is easy but a lot of the textbooks make it harder than it needs to be. Should be able to get it cheap on amazon. Good luck!

1. What makes a chemistry book good for self-study?

A good chemistry book for self-study should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems, and helpful visuals such as diagrams and illustrations. It should also cover a wide range of topics and provide real-life applications to make the subject more relatable.

2. How can I determine the difficulty level of a chemistry book?

The difficulty level of a chemistry book can be determined by looking at the target audience and the level of prior knowledge required. Some books may be geared towards high school students, while others may be more suitable for college-level students. Additionally, the complexity of concepts and the depth of information provided can also indicate the difficulty level.

3. Are there any recommended study strategies for using a chemistry book for self-study?

Yes, some recommended study strategies include breaking up the material into smaller sections, taking notes while reading, and actively working through practice problems. It can also be helpful to create a study schedule and review previously learned material regularly.

4. Can a chemistry book for self-study be used as a substitute for a teacher or instructor?

While a good chemistry book can provide a lot of information and practice problems, it is not a substitute for a teacher or instructor. A teacher can provide additional explanations, answer questions, and guide the learning process, which can be difficult to replicate with a book alone.

5. Are there any recommended chemistry books for self-study?

Some popular and highly recommended chemistry books for self-study include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore L. Brown and H. Eugene LeMay, "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Ralph H. Petrucci, and "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore. Ultimately, the best chemistry book for self-study will depend on individual learning styles and needs.