[101]Potential energy of mass on a spring with 2 givens

In summary, this conversation discusses finding the potential energy of a mass on a vertical spring at the endpoints of its motion. The maximum speed of 3 m/s and mass of 1.1 kg are given. The solution involves understanding that at the midpoint of the oscillation, the velocity is fastest and the potential energy is zero. At the endpoints, the velocity is zero and all the kinetic energy is transferred into potential energy. By using the equation PE=KE=1/2mv^2, the correct answer of 3.3J is obtained.
WPCareyDevil
[SOLVED] [101]Potential energy of mass on a spring with 2 givens

Homework Statement

A 1.1 kg mass vibrating up and down on the end of a vertical spring has a maximum speed of 3 m/s. What is the total potential energy of the mass on the spring when the mass is at either endpoint of its motion? NOTE: Assume that the potential energy of the mass on the vertical spring is zero when the mass is at the midpoint of its motion.

Homework Equations

ME=KE+PE?
PE(tot)=PE(g)+PE(e)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a hard time figuring out how to attack this one... I have a graph of energy of a simple harmonic motion, which I understand. It makes sense to me that KE will be greatest and PE will be zero at its midpoint, and vice versa at the uppermost and lowermost part of its the motion. But without the spring constant or its length of travel, I can't get any further.

Can someone "light bulb" me?=P
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the velocity is the fastest at the midpoint of the oscillation, where the potential energy is zero. When the velocity is zero, the spring is stretched at its maximum, the amplitude, so all of that kinetic energy that you had at the midpoint is now transferred into potential energy at the endpoints.

Thanks for the reply, I think I am getting warmer.

I figured the KE at the mid point would be the mass times its velocity (1.1kg * 3m/s = 3.3J), which much equal the PE. However, the 3.3J is incorrect...

and.. ah hah. I was trying to make things too difficult.
I should have just remembered PE=KE and KE=1/2mv^2

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a mass on a spring?

The formula for calculating the potential energy of a mass on a spring is: PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. How do I determine the spring constant in a potential energy calculation?

The spring constant can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. The formula for spring constant is: k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. Can the potential energy of a mass on a spring ever be negative?

No, the potential energy of a mass on a spring cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the stored energy in the spring due to its displacement.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the potential energy on a spring?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the potential energy on a spring. However, it does affect the displacement of the spring and therefore indirectly affects the potential energy. A heavier mass will stretch the spring more, resulting in a higher potential energy.

5. Can potential energy on a spring be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, potential energy on a spring can be converted into kinetic energy when the mass is released from the spring and starts moving. As the spring returns to its equilibrium position, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the mass to oscillate back and forth.