Testing series for convergence

In summary, the conversation revolved around testing a series for convergence. The series in question was the sum from n=1 to infinity of [cos(n/2) / (n^2+4n)]. The person used the Ratio test and simplified the expression to take the limit as n goes to infinity. They then asked for help in finding the limit of [cos((n+1)/2) / cos(n/2)]. The conversation ended with someone suggesting to use the fact that the series Sum(i from 1 to inf)1/(i^(2)) is convergent.
Townsend
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{\cos{\frac{n}{2}}}{n^2+4n}[/tex]

Sorry I am just trying out this latex stuff as it's very new to me.

Anyways, I want to test a series for convergence. The series is (if the latex does not work right) suppose to be

The sum from n=1 to infinity [cos(n/2) / (n^2+4n)]

Since this series has postive and negative terms but not alternating terms I have a limited number of test to try.

I used the Ratio test.

So I take lim as n goes to infinity of [cos((n+1)/2) / ((n+1)^2+4(n+1))] over
[cos(n/2) / (n^2+4n)]

and of course that is in absolute value bars.

Now as n goes to infinity (n^2+4n)/((n+1)^2+4(n+1)) goes to one and I am left with the limit as n goes to inifinity of

Absolute value[ cos((n+1)/2) / cos(n/2) ]

Now I am sure this goes to one since my calculator can take this limit, but how could someone actually take this limit is another question. Can anyone help?

Thanks

P.S. I will work on this latex so maybe next time things will look better

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Sum(i from 1 to inf)1/(i^(2)) is convergent

Your approach using the Ratio Test is correct. As you have shown, the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms approaches 1, indicating that the series is inconclusive. In this case, the Ratio Test is not able to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

Other tests that could be used to test for convergence include the Comparison Test, the Limit Comparison Test, and the Alternating Series Test. However, since the series does not have alternating terms and may not be easily comparable to other known series, these tests may not be effective in this case.

In situations like this, it may be helpful to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the terms of the series and observe the behavior. From the graph, it appears that the terms oscillate around 0 and decrease in magnitude as n increases, suggesting that the series may converge. However, this is not a conclusive proof and further analysis would be needed to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

1. What is the purpose of testing a series for convergence?

The purpose of testing a series for convergence is to determine whether or not the series will approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. This is important in mathematics and science as it helps to understand the behavior of a series and its overall limit.

2. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the terms all have positive values. In contrast, conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the terms have both positive and negative values.

3. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence of a series?

Some common tests used to determine the convergence of a series include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series.

4. Can a series converge at one point and diverge at another?

Yes, a series can converge at one point and diverge at another. This is known as conditional convergence and occurs when a series alternates between positive and negative terms, causing the overall sum of the series to approach different values at different points.

5. How does the convergence of a series relate to its practical applications?

The convergence of a series is important in practical applications as it helps to determine the accuracy and reliability of mathematical and scientific models. It also helps to understand the behavior of a system or process as the number of terms or iterations increases.