Finding resultant force/vector help?

• Thread starter confusedgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resultant
In summary, a resultant force/vector is the overall force or vector resulting from the combination of multiple individual forces or vectors acting on an object. To calculate it, the magnitude and direction of each individual force or vector must first be determined and then vector addition or the Pythagorean theorem can be used. A force is a push or pull on an object, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. The resultant force/vector can be negative, indicating forces or vectors in opposite directions. Finding the resultant force/vector is important in physics for understanding the overall effect of forces or vectors and predicting the motion of objects.
confusedgirl
Hopefully this attachment works...I know how to find the forces, I just need to figure out how to do the vectors. Not quite sure what else to say, but...help please?

Attachments

• Photo 77.jpg
    Photo 77.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi confusedgirl ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Sorry, your picture is very difficult to understand :confused:

it seems to have an electric charge in it, but I can't work out the rest.

Can you please type out the question, and your answer so far? :smile:

Hello there,

I completely understand your confusion and need for help in finding the resultant force/vector. Vectors are an important concept in physics and are essential in determining the net force acting on an object.

To find the resultant force/vector, you will need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its components (magnitude and direction) and then adding them together using the rules of vector addition. The resultant force/vector will be the final sum of all the individual forces.

In order to do this, you will need to have a good understanding of vector components, magnitude, and direction. I would recommend reviewing these concepts and practicing with some sample problems to gain a better understanding.

Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can guide you through the steps of finding a resultant force/vector. You can also consult with your teacher or a fellow classmate for further assistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is a resultant force/vector?

A resultant force/vector is the overall force or vector that results from the combination of multiple individual forces or vectors acting on an object. It represents the net effect of all the forces or vectors on the object.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force/vector?

To calculate the resultant force/vector, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force or vector. Then, use vector addition or the Pythagorean theorem for forces in the same direction or different directions, respectively. The resultant force/vector is the final answer after performing the necessary calculations.

3. What is the difference between a force and a vector?

A force is a push or a pull on an object, while a vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. A force can be represented as a vector, but not all vectors are forces.

4. Can the resultant force/vector be negative?

Yes, the resultant force/vector can be negative. This means that the forces or vectors acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force or vector that points in the direction of the smaller force or vector.

5. How does finding the resultant force/vector help in physics?

Finding the resultant force/vector helps in physics by allowing us to understand the overall effect of multiple forces or vectors on an object. It is also necessary for solving many physics problems and predicting the motion of objects.