A three step cycle problem check

• Thread starter Dari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary: The CP of a monoatomic gas is 3/2 R.ThereforeQ = (3/2)(3.40 mol)(8.31)(500-200) = 25428.6.In summary, the problem involves a three-step cycle of an ideal monoatomic gas with 3.40 mol. The gas undergoes an increase in temperature from 200K to 500K at a constant volume, is then adiabatically expanded back to its original pressure, and finally contracted at a constant pressure back to its original volume. The efficiency of this cycle is calculated by dividing the work by the total heat added, and the work is found to be negative, indicating that the system is doing work. However
Dari
THE PROBLEM: A three step-cycle of an ideal monoatomic gas (3.40 mol) undergoes an (1) increase in temperature from 200 to 500K at a constant volume, is then (2) adiabatically expanded back to it's original pressure, then is (3) contracted at a constant pressure back to it's original volume. What is the efficiency of this cycle?

I'm very shaky on my thermodynamics - If someone could check over this answer to see if my calculations seem logical that would be very helpful, because there's no answer for this question in the back of my textbook. My original question about this problem was "I'm getting a negative number for total work, is this possible?" but then when I solved for heat gained by using the first law of thermodynamics it was also a negative number which gave me a positive percentage. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this correct?

my work goes as follows:
T(1) = 200
T(2) = 500
n = 3.40 mol
R = 8.31

Q = W + (delta)U
ISOMETRIC W = 0
ADIABATIC W = - (delta)U
ISOBARIC W = P x (delta)V

W(12) + W(23) + W(31) = W(total)
*because there is no work in an isometric process, W(12) = 0

W(23) is based on the negative change in internal energy, and with a monoatomic gas looks like -(3/2)(3.4 mol)(8.31)(500-200) = -12714.3

W(31) uses the constant pressure times the change in volume, or P(V(2) - V(1)), but because we don't have a number for pressure or volume, we take the ideal gas law and solve for the expanded equation PV(2) - PV(1), which ends up looking like: nRT(2) - nRT(1) = nR(T(2) - T(1)) = 8476.2

however the total work would then be negative, -4238.1

Then efficiency, which is the work divided by the total heat added/gained: W/Q(h) can be calculated. Q(h) is easily calculated because only one of the three processes adds heat - the isometric one. Taking the first law of thermodynamics, W = Q + (delta)U, so if work is equal to zero, Q = -(delta)U , which again is - (3/2)(3.4)(8.31)(500-200) = -12714.3

so W/Q(h) = -4238.1/-12714.3 x 100 = 33%

Physics news on Phys.org
A negative answer for total work implies that the system is doing work, since the W in the first law of thermodynamics refers to the work done on the system. This should be the case since the cycle is actually a heat engine. Similarly, a negative Q implies that the system is giving off heat.

Dari said:
Q(h) is easily calculated because only one of the three processes adds heat - the isometric one.

Not true. The amount of heat added during the isobaric process is

Q = n CP ΔT.

1. What is a three step cycle problem check?

A three step cycle problem check is a scientific method used to solve complex problems by breaking them down into three smaller steps. These steps include identifying the problem, coming up with possible solutions, and testing these solutions to determine the most effective one.

2. Why is a three step cycle problem check important?

A three step cycle problem check is important because it allows scientists to approach problems in a systematic and organized way. This method helps to ensure that all potential solutions are considered and evaluated, leading to a more effective and accurate solution.

3. How is a three step cycle problem check different from other problem-solving methods?

A three step cycle problem check is different from other problem-solving methods because it follows a structured approach that involves clearly defining the problem, generating multiple possible solutions, and testing these solutions to find the most effective one. This process helps to eliminate bias and ensures that all potential solutions are thoroughly evaluated.

4. Can a three step cycle problem check be applied to different types of problems?

Yes, a three step cycle problem check can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields of science. It is a versatile method that can be used to solve problems in biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, and many other disciplines.

5. Are there any limitations to using a three step cycle problem check?

While a three step cycle problem check is a useful and effective method for problem-solving, it does have some limitations. This method may not be suitable for all types of problems, and it may not be the most efficient approach for solving simple or straightforward problems.