Civil Engineering/Power Engineering combination question

In summary, the person speaking has decided to change their major from Electrical Engineering to Civil Engineering. They will still take some EE classes that lead to Power Engineering, but will also have coursework in Electrical System Design and Illumination Engineering Design. They are interested in infrastructure and believe this coursework will be beneficial for future career opportunities. They are also considering getting a license as a civil engineer and wonder if they can still do electrical work with it. Some people have advised them to stick with EE for potential higher earnings, but they are more interested in the field of civil engineering. They are aware of the current job market for civil engineering and the potential for energy-related projects. They are also considering branching off into other areas, such as mechanical engineering, as a
theman408
I've decided that I am going to change my major from EE to Civil Engineering and will continue to take my EE classes that only and i repeat only lead up to Power Engineering classes.

In addition to the Civil Eng. degree i will have coursework in Electrical System Design, both commercial, residential and industrial areas(wiring design etc.) and ilumination engineering design experience.

I am fascinated with anything related to infrastructure and seeing how in a couple of years, every building design or green building design and i think this coursework experience will help me alot.

What do you guys think about this??

Also, if i get my license as a civil engineer, can i still do electrical work if i know how to do it?? Wiring design etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
theman408 said:
I've decided that I am going to change my major from EE to Civil Engineering and will continue to take my EE classes that only and i repeat only lead up to Power Engineering classes.

In addition to the Civil Eng. degree i will have coursework in Electrical System Design, both commercial, residential and industrial areas(wiring design etc.) and ilumination engineering design experience.

I am fascinated with anything related to infrastructure and seeing how in a couple of years, every building design or green building design and i think this coursework experience will help me alot.

What do you guys think about this??

Also, if i get my license as a civil engineer, can i still do electrical work if i know how to do it?? Wiring design etc?

I would stick with EE unless you just really love CE because you will on average make more money as an EE.

I believe you'll need a PE stamp to actually approve electrical system designs and since PE's are discipline defined you'll probably need to take the EE PE exam which means you'll need an ABET accredited BSEE or TAC accredited BSET degree. All of this will of course depend on where you live so check with your local PE board.

CS

can i do an electrical system design and have a EE PE sign it?

I thought this could be real useful in the new "Green building" designs.

no more input?

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

See table 3 and compare civil to electrical.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with my combination though?

It's not like I am going to have two degrees. Just overall infrastructure experience.

theman408 said:
What's wrong with my combination though?

It's not like I am going to have two degrees. Just overall infrastructure experience.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. I didn't even make an argument. I just pointed out the fact that in the US the electrical engineering degree, off the bat, is worth over 10% more than the civil degree.

Typically, electrical engineers design infrastructure technology while civil engineers install it.

i know a civil engineer who designs transmission lines and has an EE sign the plans.

theman408 said:
i know a civil engineer who designs transmission lines and has an EE sign the plans.

If an EE is signing them then the civil engineer is doing electrical engineering and would be better off with an electrical degree. I'm not trying to argue with you. There's nothing wrong with the civil degree. Just know that you are giving up some money to do a different type of work.

The master's degree starting salaries are probably more representative of people who graduate with a particular degree and stay in that specific field. EEs make $18k/yr more than civil engineers out of grad school (yes this is skewed by demographics, but it's still telling).

Some people love civil, and there are always a range of salaries in any field.

Yea i understand, don't worry i know ur not arguing hehehe.

THe thing i want to know is that in terms of hands on work and practice. How useful can electrical knowledge be to a Civil Engineer with the upcoming "Green Construction"

At least at my college, they allow Civil/Mechanical engineering students to take Electrical System Design and Ilumination Design courses that lie under Power Engineering.

theman408 said:
can i do an electrical system design and have a EE PE sign it?

I thought this could be real useful in the new "Green building" designs.

Yes as long as a EE PE approves it. He'll be on the hook for it and not you.

CS

Most civil people design beams, columns, and slabs. If you like that kind of work, then choose CE.

I don't think anyone here knows exactly what I am trying to do? lol

Regarding future career, you won't know for sure what's going to happen. So just study the field of your interest and do well.

comp_math said:
Regarding future career, you won't know for sure what's going to happen. So just study the field of your interest and do well.

Agreed. But seeing how the Civil Engineering market is right now, a lot of designs will be related to energetic concerns.

I can only tell you much of it is hype. Real energy research is mostly done by people who are really well versed in physics and chemistry. To be honest, most civil engineering people lack training in such areas. There are exceptions of course (perhaps people who are doing environmental engineering, whose background are strong in chemistry). My background is civil engineering and I am trying to branch off into other areas. You better stick with your EE in your undergraduate and learn some real physics.

All I'm saying is join a program that will provide you with the real skills and knowledge to tackle problems. Don't follow any hype or job market conditions because they change quickly.

i've always had the problem deciding, i love infrastructure but then again I've always liked technology. It seems that the bridge between those two is Mechanical Engineering.

comp_math said:
I can only tell you much of it is hype. Real energy research is mostly done by people who are really well versed in physics and chemistry. To be honest, most civil engineering people lack training in such areas. There are exceptions of course (perhaps people who are doing environmental engineering, whose background are strong in chemistry). My background is civil engineering and I am trying to branch off into other areas. You better stick with your EE in your undergraduate and learn some real physics.

Why are you trying to branch off into other areas ?
Is not environmental engineering close to civil ?
When it comes to energy related to issue, does biomechanic provide any good background ?

1. What is the difference between civil engineering and power engineering?

Civil engineering primarily deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water systems. Power engineering, also known as electrical engineering, focuses on the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power. While there is some overlap between the two fields, they have distinct areas of specialization.

2. How do civil engineering and power engineering work together?

The combination of civil engineering and power engineering allows for the development of sustainable and efficient infrastructure, particularly in terms of energy usage. Civil engineers may design buildings that incorporate renewable energy sources, while power engineers can ensure that the electrical systems are integrated properly. Additionally, civil engineers may work on projects such as power plants or transmission lines, which require knowledge of power engineering principles.

3. What are the career opportunities for individuals with a civil engineering/power engineering background?

Individuals with a combination of civil engineering and power engineering skills have a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. They may work on projects related to urban planning, renewable energy, transportation systems, or infrastructure development. Some common job titles for these individuals include civil engineer, power engineer, project manager, or sustainability consultant.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful career in civil engineering/power engineering?

In addition to a solid foundation in math and science, successful civil engineering/power engineering professionals must possess strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and effective communication skills. They must also have a thorough understanding of engineering principles, project management, and the latest technology and software used in the industry.

5. How do environmental considerations factor into civil engineering/power engineering projects?

Environmental sustainability is a key consideration in both civil engineering and power engineering projects. Civil engineers must consider the impact of their designs on the environment and work to minimize any negative effects. Power engineers must also ensure that their energy systems are efficient and environmentally friendly. Both fields also play a crucial role in developing and implementing renewable energy sources to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and combat climate change.