Flux of vector field through box

In summary, to compute the flux of the vector field \vec F=\frac{\vec r}{r^3} out of the given box, the surface integral formula must be used since the divergence of the vector field is zero. The box should be treated by calculating the flux across each side and adding the results. To evaluate integrals like the one in the Attempt at a Solution, a trigonometric substitution can be used.
jameson2

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field [tex] \vec F=\frac{\vec r}{r^3} [/tex] with [tex] \vec r =x\hat{i} +y\hat{j} +z\hat{k} [/tex]
Compute the flux of F out of the box [tex] 1\leq x \leq 2, 0\leq y \leq 1, 0\leq z \leq 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

I can't use the Gauss divergence theorem since the divergence of the vector field is zero. So I think that the only thing I can use is the surface integral formula, [tex] \int_S \vec F \cdot d\vec A=\int_D dudv (\vec F(u,v))\cdot (\frac{dw}{du} \times \frac{dw}{dv} ) [/tex] for a suitable parametrization of the surface [tex] w(x,y,z)=w(x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v)) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how i should treat the box. My attempt was to try and work out the flux through each side of the box and sum the results. I think that maybe there is no outward flux through the sides of the box that are in the xz and xy planes, since they are parallel to the field. Also, I don't think there is any flux going out of the side of the box in the x=1 plane, since there is only a flux inward. If I try the problem this way, I get an awkward integration, for example one of the sides gives the integration of the following for the flux:
[tex] \int dxdy \frac{2}{(4+y^2 +z^2)^3^/^2} [/tex]
This is where I'm stuck, I can't find a way to integrate this. An help would be great, as I'm not sure if this is the most efficient way, or even if it is the right way to do the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the divergence of a vector field is zero, then the divergence theorem tells you that the outward flux through the box is equal to zero. However, in this example I don't think the divergence is zero...

You are right to consider the flux across each side and add the results.

To calculate integrals like the one you gave, you can use a trigonometric substitution. If you're doing the y integration first, try the substitution
[tex]y = (4+z^2)^\frac{1}{2} \tan(t)[/tex]
Then, the denominator should become something like
[tex](4+z^2)^\frac{3}{2} (1 + \tan^2 (t))^\frac{3}{2} = (4+z^2)^\frac{3}{2} \sec^3 (t)[/tex]
and so the whole integral becomes
[tex]\int_a^b \frac{\cos(t)}{4+z^2} dt = \left.\frac{\sin(t)}{4+z^2}\right|_a^b[/tex]
where a and b are the new limits of the t integration (i.e. not the y limits!).

1. What is the definition of "flux of vector field through box"?

The flux of a vector field through a box is a measure of the flow or movement of that vector field through the boundaries of the box. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of the vector field that is passing through the box per unit time.

2. How is the flux of a vector field through a box calculated?

The flux of a vector field through a box can be calculated using the formula F = ∫∫∫ V · dA, where F is the flux, V is the vector field, and dA is the differential area element of the box's boundaries. This integral can be evaluated using techniques such as the divergence theorem or Stokes' theorem.

3. What is the significance of the flux of a vector field through a box?

The flux of a vector field through a box is important in understanding the behavior and movement of the vector field. It can provide insight into the strength, direction, and distribution of the vector field within the box, and can be used to analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and more.

4. Can the flux of a vector field through a box be negative?

Yes, the flux of a vector field through a box can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the chosen orientation of the box's boundaries. In other words, if the vector field is entering the box from the "outside" according to the chosen orientation, the flux will be negative.

5. How does the size of the box affect the flux of a vector field?

The size of the box can affect the flux of a vector field in several ways. Generally, a larger box will result in a larger flux, as there is more area for the vector field to pass through. However, if the vector field is changing in strength or direction within the box, the size of the box can influence the flux in more complex ways.