Book recommendation for representation theory(physicist)

In summary, two recommended books for learning about group/representation theory in the context of QFT are "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by Howard Georgi and "Quantum Mechanics- Symmetries" by Walter Greiner. Georgi's book provides a practical approach to techniques used in advanced particle physics, while Greiner's book offers a more rigorous mathematical explanation. Both books complement each other and provide a comprehensive understanding of the role of group theory in topics such as particle classification, symmetry breaking, and unification theories.
LAHLH
Hi

Could anyone recommend me a good book that will teach me the kind of group/representation theory I would need to understand these things when applied to QFT (Lie Algebra, Lorentz group, SU(2) etc)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Cornwell's books on group theory are good (but a bit long maybe...)
Georgi's is a reference.

Lie Algebras in Particle Physics, second edition is not one of the best books but the best book of all!

I would recommend two books:

Lie Algebra in Particle Physics, from Howard Georgi
Quantum Mechanics- Symmetries, from Walter Greiner.

These two books complement each other in the sense that Georgi spans a wide range of techniques, but is not always rigorous and mainly focuses on calculational techniques and how those techniques are implemented in advanced particle physics, from particle classification to symmetry breaking and Unification theories. The aim is NOT to explain Unification or symmetry breaking but really to explain what is the role of group theory in these topics.

Greiner's book is much more thorough, as everything is rigorously proved mathematically, starting from early concept of symmetries to thoroug developpment of SU(2) and SU(3). At first it might seems insane to spend so much time to explain in crazy details the mathematical details of SU(2), while it is, in itself a so simple group. The answer lies in the root system and character theory, where the fundamental tool is pretty much identifying all the SU(2) multiplets existing in a given group. Georgy explains this fairly well when calculating the roots of a group.

To summarize, Greiner's book is better explain, but because of this, it covers less (it stops more or less with charachter theory and Dynkin diagram/Cartan approach included). Georgi has less explanations, is more computational (a kind of "recipe book") so it goes further in terms of content. You would still need a theory book to understand the foundation of these calculation however, which is why i studied Greiner's along with Georgi.

for your question! I highly recommend the book "Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists" by A. Zee. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to group theory, including Lie groups and Lie algebras, which are essential for understanding the symmetries in quantum field theory. It also covers the Lorentz group and SU(2) in detail, making it a great resource for anyone interested in representation theory in physics. I hope this recommendation helps and happy reading!

1. What is representation theory in physics?

Representation theory in physics is the study of how abstract mathematical groups can be used to describe the symmetries of physical systems. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing physical phenomena.

2. Why is representation theory important for physicists?

Representation theory is important for physicists because it helps us understand the symmetries present in physical systems and how these symmetries can be used to make predictions about the behavior of these systems. It also allows us to classify and organize different physical theories and models.

3. Can you recommend a good book for representation theory for physicists?

One highly recommended book for representation theory in physics is "Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists" by Anthony Zee. It provides a comprehensive and intuitive introduction to the subject, with many examples and applications relevant to physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying representation theory as a physicist?

A basic understanding of linear algebra, abstract algebra, and quantum mechanics is recommended for studying representation theory in physics. Some familiarity with group theory may also be helpful.

5. How can representation theory be applied in physics research?

Representation theory has many applications in physics research, including in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It can be used to analyze and understand the symmetries of physical systems, classify particles and their interactions, and develop new theories and models.