Archimedes principle again.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for determining the amount of helium needed to lift a 340kg balloon, given the density of air and helium. The correct answer is 232.8767 m^3, but the individual is struggling to understand the concept of buoyant force and how it relates to the weight of the balloon and helium. They eventually reach the correct answer with the help of others in the conversation.
pat666

Homework Statement

How much helium (density 0.18) is requires to lift a 340kg balloon. density of air is 1.28

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\
i don't know why i keep getting the wrong answer
buoyant force required is 340g which = rho g V
and i keep getting 1888.89m^3 which i can see is way to big, what i can't see is what is wrong with my procedure?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the question you have 340 kg, but in the answer you have 340 g. Which is it?

g is gravity(force) sorry the balloon is 340Kg

What is the correct answer supposed to be?

I'm getting an answer of [tex] V = 232.8767 m^3 [/tex], but there is a high chance I'm wrong.

If V is the volume of the balloon, then the weight of the balloon with helium will be

W = (340 + V/0.18)g

Weight of teh displaced air = (V/0.18)*1.28*g

So 340 + V/0.18 = (V/0.18)(1.28)

Now solve for V.

thanks rl.bhat, maybe memorie the correct answer is 309m^3 if you were interested

rl.bhat when i solve that equation you gave me i get 218.6m^3 which is still significantly different to what my textbook say..////??

The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced air. Set that equal to the weight of the empty balloon plus the helium. Then you can solve for V.

so F_b=w_air+w_helium
340g=1.28*9.81x+0.18*9.81x
that comes out to 232.877m^3 which is what someone previously said. maybe the answer in the textbook is wrong??

pat666 said:
so F_b=w_air+w_helium
No, set the buoyant force equal to the weight of balloon + helium.
340g=1.28*9.81x+0.18*9.81x
that comes out to 232.877m^3 which is what someone previously said. maybe the answer in the textbook is wrong??
No, the textbook is fine. For some reason you are setting the buoyant force equal to 340g. That's incorrect. (340g is the weight of the empty balloon.) Write an expression for the buoyant force in terms of the volume (what you call x).

ok i still don't get this at all. w_air + w_helium = rho*g*v? if that's right what is the fluid on the right side of the equation?

pat666 said:
w_air + w_helium = rho*g*v? if that's right what is the fluid on the right side of the equation?
Why are you adding the weights of air and helium?

rhoair*g*V is the buoyant force (the weight of displaced air).

Set that equal to the weight of the balloon (which is given) plus the helium (express that in terms of V).

THANKS Doc Al i finally have the correct answer although i don't understand why it works. I thought that the buoyant force the helium had to provide would be equal to the force due to gravity so that it could float up?

pat666 said:
I thought that the buoyant force the helium had to provide would be equal to the force due to gravity so that it could float up?
It does! But the buoyant force must lift both the helium and the empty balloon.

ok i sort of get that, THANKS AGAIN ill consult my textbook and see if i can't make some more sense of it.. thanks

What is Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

How does Archimedes principle work?

Archimedes principle works by comparing the weight of the object to the weight of the fluid it displaces. If the weight of the object is greater than the weight of the fluid, it will sink. If the weight of the object is less than the weight of the fluid, it will float.

What is the significance of Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle has many practical applications, such as in determining the buoyancy of ships and other floating objects, and in designing and building submarines, hot air balloons, and other flotation devices.

Can Archimedes principle be applied to gases?

No, Archimedes principle only applies to fluids, which include liquids and gases. However, the principle can be extended to gases by using the ideal gas law.

How was Archimedes principle discovered?

Archimedes principle was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician and scientist, Archimedes, around 250 BC. It is said that he made the discovery while taking a bath and noticing how the water level rose as he got into the tub.