Difference between a gas and a liquid

In summary, the differences between a liquid and a gas lie in the intermolecular forces that hold molecules together. In the case of propanone, the IMF in liquid form are dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces, while in gaseous form, there are assumed to be no interactions between molecules. This is because the thermal energy in the environment is greater than the energy from the IMF, allowing the molecules to disperse easily.
Moogie
Hi

I'm trying to review some fundamental chemistry and I want to make sure I understand the difference between a liquid and a gas. I will build this question up in stages.

I'd like to consider propanone. I believe the intermolecular forces (IMF)in liquid propanone are dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces (induced dipole). What IMF forces are there in gaseous propanone? Are there any IMF in a gas because the gas molecules would all disperse if they weren't in a container suggesting they aren't held together very strongly.

I will build my question up once I have this foundation clarified.

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A substance becomes gaseous when the thermal energy available in the environment is greater than the energy from the intermolecular forces that hold molecules in a solid or liquid together. In a gas, we almost always assume that there are no interactions between different gas molecules.

Thanks

1. What are the properties of a gas and a liquid?

A gas is a state of matter that has no fixed shape or volume and is able to expand to fill any container it is placed in. It is made up of individual particles that are constantly moving and colliding with each other. A liquid, on the other hand, has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container. It is made up of particles that are close together but still able to move and flow past each other.

2. How do the particles in a gas and a liquid behave differently?

The particles in a gas are much more spread out and have higher kinetic energy compared to those in a liquid. This means that they are constantly moving and colliding with each other, leading to a more chaotic and random movement. In a liquid, the particles are closer together and have lower kinetic energy, causing them to move more slowly and flow past each other.

3. What is the main difference between the compressibility of a gas and a liquid?

A gas is highly compressible, meaning that its volume can be reduced significantly when pressure is applied. This is because the particles in a gas are already spread out and can be pushed closer together. On the other hand, a liquid is not easily compressible because its particles are already close together and cannot be compressed further.

4. How do the intermolecular forces differ in a gas and a liquid?

In a gas, the intermolecular forces between particles are very weak, allowing them to move and flow freely. In a liquid, the intermolecular forces are stronger, causing the particles to stay close together and flow past each other. These forces are also responsible for the surface tension and viscosity of a liquid.

5. Can a gas turn into a liquid and vice versa?

Yes, a gas can turn into a liquid through a process called condensation, where the particles lose energy and come closer together to form a liquid. On the other hand, a liquid can turn into a gas through a process called evaporation, where the particles gain enough energy to break free from the liquid and become a gas.