How to make a air cylinder push up a gate

In summary, the gate does not work properly if the cylinder is not mounted in the center of the two clevis mounting holes. The gate will work properly if the cylinder is mounted at the junction of the legs of the isosceles right triangle.
g_speran
Hello All,
I am building a project where I am looking to have a pnuematic cylinder mounted underneath a ramp and push up a gate that is hinged, to 90 degrees, however I am struggling on how to get this to properly function. From center to center of the 2 clevis mounting holes, on the cylinder, is 15 3/8" (in the closed position). The cylinder has a 7" stroke, therefore in the open position, from center to center of the clevis mounting holes is 22 3/8". I am not sure where the cylinder needs to be mounted underneath in order for the hinged gate to be pushed up to a 90 degree, at a full stoke and parallel when fully retracted.
I have pictures of what I am trying to accomplish but it is 10MB in size so I am not able to upload it. Pictures are woth a thousand words :-) If you think you can assist me, I will be more than happy to send you the pictures (6 in total)

Thanks
Gary

Engineering news on Phys.org
I just created a web page to show the pictures. please be patient for the images to load.

Here is the link:

http://g_sperano.tripod.com/gate/gate.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Good pictures, G_speran. Welcome to PF.
I don't think that where you mount the cylinder is terribly important. The length of the attachment bracket on the rod end will determine the starting and ending positions of the gate.
Math isn't my thing. In a situation like this, I just cut out pieces of cardboard in the right dimensions, nail them to the floor, and muck about with things until it works right. Then I transfer the resulting points to the real equipment. :redface:

I've been mucking around with it for about 11 hours and no success. If I munt the cylinder so that it is at Full stoke and the gate is at 90 degree, then when it goes to close, it is fully retracted and the gate is at about a 20 degree angle.

There has got to be some math to this :-)

Well, I know that it has to do with leverage ratios, but I don't know how to work it out. You'd have to figure how much linear displacement correlates with 180° of rotation, and scale the mounting lever appropriately. (I know what I mean, but I'm sure not expressing it well.)

Any other recommendations. Any mathmetical calculation anybody have to help fugure this out?

Last edited:
Since you need to move it ninety degrees, I look at it as an isosceles right triangle. The equal length legs denote the lever's starting and ending points, and "C", the junction of the legs, is the pivot point. The hypotenuse is the cylinder's travel, seven inches, therefore the length required for the arm is 4.95 inches (from center of hinge pivot.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=28287&stc=1&d=1284614723.png

This is just a rough sketch, not to scale.

Attachments

• Hinged Plate.png
    Hinged Plate.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,253
By creating that distance from the bottom of the gate it increases mechanical advantage (i.e. the further away you are from the door hinge, the easier it is to push the door open). The cylinder is probably best parallel to the ramp, although you want to make sure that the joint between the cylinder rod and the gate has enough room for the gate to go to 90deg.

RampASM1.jpg

RampASM2.jpg

RampASM3.jpg

i think you need at least 45 degree angle ( cylinder to gate) to properly actuate this.

Ranger Mike said:
i think you need at least 45 degree angle ( cylinder to gate) to properly actuate this.

its the moment generated about the hinge that matters and that moment arm would only get smaller with an angled cylinder. its like rotating an x shaped revolving door; you don't need to put force on a particular door, they all act as a moment arm allowing you to rotate the door. plus if you're trying to connect directly to the gate, much of the force will be trying to pull the hinge apart and it wouldn't be very easy to set it up so that it works properly through the 90 deg rotation.

1. How does an air cylinder work?

An air cylinder is a mechanical device that uses compressed air to create linear motion. When air is pumped into the cylinder, it pushes against a piston, which then moves outward and creates a pushing force. This force can be used to move objects, such as a gate.

2. What components are needed to make an air cylinder push up a gate?

To make an air cylinder push up a gate, you will need an air compressor to supply the compressed air, an air cylinder with a piston, tubing to connect the cylinder to the compressor, and a control valve to regulate the flow of air into the cylinder.

3. How do I calculate the size of the air cylinder needed for my gate?

The size of the air cylinder needed will depend on the weight and size of the gate. To calculate the required size, you will need to know the weight of the gate, the distance it needs to be pushed, and the pressure and flow rate of the air compressor. There are online calculators available to help with this calculation.

4. Can an air cylinder push up a heavy gate?

Yes, an air cylinder can push up a heavy gate as long as it is properly sized and has enough force to overcome the weight of the gate. It is important to ensure that the cylinder and other components are strong enough to handle the load and that the gate is properly balanced to prevent strain on the cylinder.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an air cylinder to push up a gate?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using an air cylinder to push up a gate. This includes ensuring that the cylinder is properly sized and installed, and that all components are in good working condition. It is also important to have a safety release in case of power failure and to regularly inspect and maintain the cylinder and related equipment.