What Value of b Makes the Complex Function Satisfy the 3D Wave Equation?

In summary, to satisfy the three-dimensional wave equation, the value of b must be equal to \pm \frac{w}{v\sqrt{2}}. This can be easily obtained by carefully substituting the given complex function into the wave equation and simplifying.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

Given a complex function

[tex]\tilde{f}(\mathbf{r},t)=Aexp(i(b(x+y)-wt+d))[/tex]

I am asked to determine for what value of b this satisfies the three-dimensional wave equation. x and y are components of r.

Homework Equations

3d wave equation:
[tex]\nabla^2 f=\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{d^2 f}{dt^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I take [tex]f=Re(\tilde{f})=Acos(b(x+y)-wt+d)[/tex] then write up the three-dimensional wave equation

[tex]\nabla^2 f=\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{d^2 f}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]-2Ab^2\cos(b(x+y)-wt+d)=-\frac{1}{v^2}w^2A\cos(b(x+y)-wt+d)[/tex]

Now, it is simply a matter of isolating b in the final equation. Is this correct?

I get [tex]b=\frac{w}{v \sqrt{2}}[/tex]

If this is correct, could I have reached this conclusion in an easier manner? I have this nagging feeling I'm missing out on all kind of complex goodness by just going to real parts immediately.

EDIT EDIT: Total nonsense answer before, sorry. Dunno how I missed that minus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully check your work and make sure that it is correct before presenting it to others. In this case, your solution is incorrect. I will guide you through the correct process to solve this problem.

First, let's start with the three-dimensional wave equation:

\nabla^2 f=\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{d^2 f}{dt^2}

We can rewrite this equation as:

\nabla^2 f - \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{d^2 f}{dt^2} = 0

Now, let's substitute in the given complex function:

\nabla^2 (Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)}) - \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{d^2 (Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)})}{dt^2} = 0

Using the chain rule, we can simplify the second term:

\nabla^2 (Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)}) + \frac{1}{v^2} w^2 (Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)}) = 0

Now, let's expand the Laplacian operator:

(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2})(Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)}) + \frac{1}{v^2} w^2 (Ae^{i(b(x+y)-wt+d)}) = 0

We can now simplify this equation by using the fact that the exponential term is independent of x, y, and z:

-A(b^2+w^2)\cos(b(x+y)-wt+d) + \frac{1}{v^2} w^2 A \cos(b(x+y)-wt+d) = 0

Simplifying further, we get:

-A(b^2+w^2+\frac{w^2}{v^2})\cos(b(x+y)-wt+d) = 0

Since the cosine term cannot be equal to zero (unless A=0), we must have:

b^2+w^2+\frac{w^2}{v^2} = 0

Solving for b, we get:

b = \pm \

1. What is a wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes how a wave behaves over time and space. It is used to model various types of waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

2. How is a wave equation tested?

A wave equation can be tested by comparing its predictions to experimental data. This can be done by creating a controlled environment in which a wave can be produced and its behavior can be measured. The results can then be compared to the predicted behavior from the wave equation.

3. What are the variables in a wave equation?

The variables in a wave equation depend on the specific type of wave being described. However, some common variables include amplitude (the maximum displacement of the wave), wavelength (the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs), and frequency (the number of complete waves passing through a point per unit time).

4. Can a wave equation accurately predict real-world phenomena?

Yes, a wave equation can accurately predict real-world phenomena when the conditions and variables are properly accounted for. However, it is important to note that no mathematical model is perfect and there will always be some level of uncertainty or error.

5. How is a wave equation used in different fields of science?

A wave equation is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and acoustics. It is used to study and understand the behavior of different types of waves, and can also be applied in practical applications such as designing communication systems, predicting earthquake behavior, and creating musical instruments.