Designing degenerate PCR primers-help

• Thread starter indoubt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, with degenerate PCR you create a set of primers that have a specific sequence. The primers have a wobble in them, which allows for the product to be amplified.
indoubt
i am looking for a tool where i can designe degenerate PCR primers.

by the way i have read about degenerate PCR, but find it hard to understand, so please explain these for me;

in standard PCR mixture we have a forward and reverse primer for our target, but how many primers do i need in a degenerate PCR mixture? besides how does the degenerate primers work? when we induce wobble in the primer, how come one of the specific one is chosen among the wobbles? or how does it actually work to make our pcr product? *extremely confused*

hope for ideas!

thanks alot!

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I personnaly do not use tool design primers. I go with my own eyes. The best way to do it is to follow the following guidelines:

18-24 nucleotides (aim for 24)
45-55% GC (aim for 50%)
Melting Temperature ~ 60 °C (it usually more or less at 57)
Less than 4 nucleotides of self-complementation
No dimer formation at the 3’ end
G or C at the 3’ end (not A or T)
Avoid GGG or CCC at the 3’ end

For degenerate primers the idea is the that when you design the primer you have to decide to either put A, T, G, C or one the letter that represent more than one base pair. When the primer is synthesised, the machine will decided to to either base. For example, you design this primer ATGCRGTACC, R = A,G, so in your solution you will have a mix of ATGCAGTACC and ATGCGGTACC. The only is exception is the base I, which will be in all the primers since this base binds A, T, G, C. So in your primer stock you will have a mix of several differrent combination. The idea is that a some primers will have a good match and allow amplification.

hi Ian!

so you mean that like standard PCR i have to design a forward and a reverse primer? and when design them i have to if necessary add the wobble in my primers and send them to a manufacturer. the manufacturer will make a combination of the different primers due to the wobble. and during the PCR only the primers which have the highest match with the target would bind to it?

hope for replies!
thanks!

Everything you said is right

many thanks!

1. How do I design degenerate PCR primers?

Designing degenerate PCR primers involves identifying conserved regions among related sequences and creating primers that can target these regions, even with minor variations in the nucleotide sequence. This can be done using specialized software or manually by comparing multiple sequences.

2. What is the purpose of degenerate PCR primers?

Degenerate PCR primers are used to amplify DNA sequences that are similar but not identical, such as when studying a gene or protein that has multiple variants or when working with a diverse group of organisms. They allow for amplification of a wider range of sequences compared to traditional PCR primers.

3. How can I ensure specificity when using degenerate PCR primers?

One way to ensure specificity is by using a high annealing temperature during the PCR reaction. This will help the primers bind specifically to the target sequences and reduce the likelihood of non-specific amplification. Additionally, conducting careful primer design and optimization can also improve specificity.

4. Can degenerate PCR primers be used for quantitative PCR?

Yes, degenerate PCR primers can be used for quantitative PCR (qPCR). However, it is important to design primers that have similar amplification efficiencies to accurately compare the target sequences. It may also be necessary to validate the primers for qPCR before using them in experiments.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with degenerate PCR primers?

If you are experiencing issues with your degenerate PCR primers, it is important to first check the primer design and make sure they are targeting the correct regions. You can also try adjusting the PCR conditions, such as changing the annealing temperature or using a different polymerase. If the issue persists, consider redesigning the primers or consulting with a colleague or expert for assistance.