Help Mike Find Velocity of Ball Down Incline - ME Dynamics Problem

• Thread starter ChaosTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: He is not asking for the acceleration along the x-axis, just the acceleration perpendicular to the x-axis. In summary, the problem asks for the velocity of a marble at the end of an incline where the marble starts from rest. You need to calculate the acceleration to find this velocity.
ChaosTheory
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. Using the drawing attached, I have to find the velocity of the ball at the end of the incline, where the ball starts from rest. This isn't the whole problem, but this is what is giving the entire class (M.E. Dynamics) a major headache. Our professor can't even solve it. We keep finding more variables than equations. If possible, do it without DiffEqu.

Also, if you're interested, this problem is part of the project in R.C. Hibbeler's Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics (10th ed.) on page 94.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• project.JPG
    project.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there friction in this problem?
Also,
Where is the specific difficulty?

ChaosTheory said:
Using the drawing attached, I have to find the velocity of the ball at the end of the incline, where the ball starts from rest. This isn't the whole problem, but this is what is giving the entire class (M.E. Dynamics) a major headache. Our professor can't even solve it.
A ball rolling down an incline and your professor can't solve it?? You must be leaving out some complication not obvious in the drawing. :smile:

State the problem exactly as given, and show us the work you've done on it.

This is what the problem says:
"Marbles roll of the production chute at 0.5 ft/s. Determine the range for the angle 0<=theta<=30 degrees for a selected position s for the placement of the hopper relative to the end of the chute." Refer to Fig 2

Because we're not sure how long the chute must be for 0.5ft/s (we calculated something very small, and changes with theta), our Professor just wants us to provide (x) along the chute, and (s) to get into the hopper within a range of Thetas.
We first need to calculate the acceleration to find the velocity at the end of the chute. We are ignoring friction.

Fy = m(a)y
Ncos() - w = m(a)y

Fx = m(a)x
Nsin() = m(a)x

The problem is there are 3 variables (N, ax, ay) and two equations. And yes, our Professor (first year teaching a lecture) cannot solve it.

I appologize for not knowing how to use the boards language for equations.

Attachments

• Fig2.bmp
    16.8 KB · Views: 497
ChaosTheory said:
We first need to calculate the acceleration to find the velocity at the end of the chute. We are ignoring friction.

The problem is there are 3 variables (N, ax, ay) and two equations. And yes, our Professor (first year teaching a lecture) cannot solve it.
Consider the motion parallel to the plane. The only force on the marble is gravity. What's the component of the weight down the plane? Use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

PS: Your Professor must be pulling your leg!

1. What is the purpose of finding the velocity of the ball down an incline?

The purpose of finding the velocity of the ball down an incline is to understand the motion and behavior of the ball under the given conditions. This information can be used to make predictions and calculations related to the ball's trajectory, acceleration, and other important physical properties.

2. What is the equation for calculating velocity in this scenario?

The equation for calculating velocity in this scenario is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. However, this equation may change depending on the specific details of the incline and the ball's motion.

3. How can the velocity of the ball down an incline be measured?

The velocity of the ball down an incline can be measured using various methods such as using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the ball to reach a certain point, or using sensors and data collection tools to track the ball's motion. The chosen method will depend on the resources and equipment available.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of the ball down an incline?

Several factors can affect the velocity of the ball down an incline, including the angle of the incline, the friction between the ball and the surface, the mass and shape of the ball, and external forces such as air resistance.

5. How can the velocity of the ball down an incline be used in real-world applications?

The velocity of the ball down an incline can be used in real-world applications such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of objects on inclined planes, and understanding the behavior of objects in free fall. It is also a fundamental concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports science.