Calculate Resonance Frequency of a Molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the resonance frequency of a given molecule using a systematic and predictive method instead of experimentation. The person mentions their own experience calculating the resonance frequencies of a water molecule using classical mechanics, but notes that it may be challenging for more complex molecules. They also suggest using Lagrangian mechanics and modeling each atom as a point mass.
Eikou
Is there any systematic, predictive way to calculate the resonance frequency of a given molecule?

Say I'm given a formula and a structure but nothing else. Is there any way to calculate it without just experimenting?

I'm not sure if this question is in the right place, and I'm not sure if it's intelligible. It's just something that struck my curiosity recently and I've tried some Google research with no real success. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember calculating the resonance frequencies of a water molecule using classical mechanics. We use Lagrangian mechanics and modeled each atom in the molecule as a point mass, and we assumed the force between each atom was proportional to their separation (like Hooke's law).

I imagine this would be hella hard to do with anything with a less-than-simple structure like H2O. It would be even harder with a molecule that contains four or more atoms not in the same plane.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is the specific frequency at which a molecule or system vibrates most easily and with the greatest amplitude.

Why is it important to calculate the resonance frequency of a molecule?

Calculating the resonance frequency of a molecule can help determine its stability and reactivity. It can also be used to predict the absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation, which is important in various applications such as spectroscopy and molecular imaging.

How is the resonance frequency of a molecule calculated?

The resonance frequency of a molecule can be calculated using the formula v = (1/2π)√(k/m), where v is the resonance frequency, k is the force constant of the bond, and m is the reduced mass of the atoms in the bond. This formula takes into account the strength of the bond and the mass of the atoms in the molecule.

Can resonance frequency be experimentally measured?

Yes, resonance frequency can be experimentally measured using techniques such as infrared and Raman spectroscopy. These methods involve exposing the molecule to electromagnetic radiation and measuring the absorption or scattering of the radiation, which can provide information about the molecule's resonance frequency.

How does resonance frequency affect the behavior of a molecule?

The resonance frequency of a molecule can affect its behavior in various ways. For example, it can determine the energy needed for a bond to break or the energy released when a bond is formed. It can also affect the molecule's reactivity and how it interacts with other molecules or substances.