An object on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a homogenous thin cylinder on an inclined plane with an angle of elevation α and a coefficient of friction μ. The acceleration is found to be a=g(sinα−μcosα) and the velocity is v=\sqrt{2lg(sinα−μcosα)}. The angular velocity cannot be determined without knowing the radius of the cylinder and there is not enough information provided to find it.
funoras

Homework Statement

A homogenous thin cylinder is put on an inclined plane (angle of elevation is α). The coefficient of friction is [tex] \mu [/tex] . What is the speed of the centre of the mass of the cylinder and it's angular velocity at distance l from the start of motion.

Homework Equations

[tex] F=ma [/tex]
[tex] I=mR^2/2 [/tex]
[tex] v=at [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram and found out that the acceleration is
[tex] a=g(sinα-\mu\cosα) [/tex] and found the velocity
[tex] v=\sqrt{2lg(sinα-\mu\cosα)} [/tex]

The problem is, i can't find the angular velocity in any way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume this is pure "rolling", no sliding, motion. In one complete rotation, then, the cylinder will have moved a distance equal to the circumference of the cylinder. Since you know the linear speed of the center axis, you know the time it will take the cylinder to move that far. The angular speed is [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians divide by that time.

funoras said:
I drew a free body diagram and found out that the acceleration is
[tex] a=g(sinα-\mu\cosα) [/tex]
How did you derive this result?
and found the velocity
[tex] v=\sqrt{2lg(sinα-\mu\cosα)} [/tex]
Same question here.

The problem is, i can't find the angular velocity in any way.
The translational and rotational velocities are related by the constraint that the cylinder rolls without slipping.

[tex]N=mgcos\alpha[/tex]
[tex]ma=mgsin\alpha-F[/tex]
[tex]F=\mu N[/tex]

and from here
[tex]a=g(sinα−μcosα)[/tex]
and the distance l is
[tex]l=at^2/2[/tex]
from here [tex]t=\sqrt{2l/a}[/tex]
and velocity is [tex]v=at=\sqrt{2lg(sinα−μcosα)}[/tex]

But that would mean the cylinder is sliding i guess. I'm completely lost now.

funoras said:
[tex]F=\mu N[/tex]
Do not assume this. F = μN would be the maximum possible value of static friction for the given surface; the actual friction needed to prevent slipping will be less. Just call the friction F and solve for it.

(Don't forget Newton's 2nd law for rotation.)

So
[tex] mg sin \alpha - F = ma [/tex]
[tex] FR=mR^2\beta/2 [/tex]
[tex]a=\beta R[/tex]

and from here [tex]a=2gsin\alpha /3[/tex]

and i can find the translational velocity, but what about the angular velocity? it seems i will need the radius, which is not given

funoras said:
and i can find the translational velocity, but what about the angular velocity? it seems i will need the radius, which is not given
Yes, you are correct. It seems you do not have enough information to obtain the angular velocity.

(If this is a textbook problem, what book is it from?)

It's not a textbook problem. However, thanks a lot for your help ! :)

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is commonly used to reduce the effort needed to move an object up or down by spreading the force over a longer distance.

2. How does an object on an inclined plane move?

An object on an inclined plane will move downwards if it is not supported and released. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the object down the slope. If the object is pushed or pulled up the slope, it will move upwards.

3. What affects the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The motion of an object on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the plane, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The steeper the angle of the plane, the faster the object will accelerate downwards. A heavier object will also accelerate faster due to the force of gravity.

4. How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a role in slowing down the motion of an object on an inclined plane. It is caused by the contact between the object and the plane's surface. The rougher the surface, the more friction there will be, slowing down the object's motion.

5. Can an object stay at rest on an inclined plane?

Yes, an object can stay at rest on an inclined plane if the force of gravity pulling it down the slope is balanced by an equal and opposite force, such as friction or an applied force pushing the object up the slope.