What causes some elements to be conductive and other element to resist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that determine whether an element is resistant or conductive to electricity. The number of electrons in the outermost shell plays a crucial role, with elements having one or two electrons in the outer shell being more conductive due to the ease of movement between atoms. On the other hand, elements with four or more electrons in the outer shell are more resistant due to the strong pull towards the center, making it difficult for electrons to escape and conduct electricity. This explanation was deemed helpful by the person asking the question.
Genericcoder
Hi Guys,

I am new here I have been programming for some time in C/C++/etc,but my knowledge in physics/chemistry I am currently improving I wanted to know why is the causes that makes some elements resist and some other elements conduct electricity ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This depend on the electron/s in the outer most shell of the elements. If there is only one or two electrons in the outer orbit, each electron "sees" only one or two positive charge in the center( Remember the electrons in the inner orbits neutralize the excess positive charges so the outer most electron don't see it and only see the last one or two.). So each electron is "hold" be only one/two +ve charge to the center and easily be dislodged. So when a piece of material with many of these element, the electron can easily move between atoms and become conductive.

For element with 4 or more electrons in the outer shell, each see 4 or more +ve charge and is being pull tightly towards the center and not able to escape and move between atoms. So no electricity can be conducted.

Last edited:
^Thanks that made perfect sense.

What causes some elements to be conductive and other elements to resist?

The conductivity of an element is determined by its ability to allow the flow of electrical current. This is primarily influenced by the atomic structure and bonding of the element.

What is the difference between conductive and resistive elements?

Conductive elements have a high number of free electrons that can easily move and carry an electrical charge, while resistive elements have fewer free electrons and therefore impede the flow of electrical current.

What factors affect the conductivity of an element?

The number of valence electrons, the type of bonding (metallic, covalent, or ionic), and the physical state (solid, liquid, or gas) can all impact the conductivity of an element.

Why are metals generally good conductors?

Metals have a high number of delocalized electrons in their outer energy levels, which are able to move freely and carry an electrical charge. Additionally, metallic bonding allows for easy movement of these electrons between atoms.

Why are nonmetals poor conductors?

Nonmetals typically have a smaller number of valence electrons and tend to form covalent bonds, which do not allow for the easy movement of electrons. Furthermore, nonmetals often exist in solid or gas states, which also hinder electron flow.