Determine if the sum Converges or Diverges

• Thread starter McAfee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation is discussing the convergence or divergence of a series and the use of different tests to determine it. The function (5n-1)/(n+5) is used as an example and it is mentioned that the limit of the function as x approaches infinity is 5, indicating that the series is divergent. It is also suggested to use an integral to estimate the difference in 1. The function f(x)=lnx is mentioned, but it is unclear how it relates to the conversation.
McAfee

Homework Statement

dve9e.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I have no idea. I know that the summation of the series converges.

2. I think it would diverge because the limit of the function does not equal zero.

3. I have tried the ratio test and got 1. Can't use the alternating series test because when ignoring signs the function increases.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 3 what's the limit of (5n-1)/(n+5) and what does that tell you about convergence? For 1 I think they might be asking you to estimate the difference using an integral.

2) is correct
3) Think about the function [itex]f(x)=\ln x[/itex]

Last edited:
Dick said:
For 3 what's the limit of (5n-1)/(n+5) and what does that tell you about convergence? For 1 I think they might be asking you to estimate the difference using an integral.

The limit of (5n-1)/(n+5) as x approaches infinity equals 5 thus meaning that the series in divergent? I think

hunt_mat said:
2) is correct
3) Think about the function [itex]f(x)=\ln x
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what [itex]f(x)=\ln x[/quote] means. Can you plus explain.

McAfee said:
The limit of (5n-1)/(n+5) as x approaches infinity equals 5 thus meaning that the series in divergent? I think

Right. If the nth term of a series doesn't approach 0 then it's always divergent. Now can you write an integral that's greater than the difference in 1?

What is the definition of convergence and divergence in mathematical terms?

Convergence refers to the property of a sequence or series where the terms get closer and closer to a specific value as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the terms of the sequence or series do not approach a specific value and may instead tend towards infinity or oscillate between values.

How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series converges or diverges, such as the comparison test, integral test, and ratio test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series or using calculus to evaluate the series.

What is the significance of determining convergence or divergence of a series?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series is important in understanding the behavior of the series and making accurate mathematical calculations. Convergent series have a finite sum, while divergent series do not, and this can greatly impact the outcome of a calculation.

Can a series converge to multiple values?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series has multiple values or fluctuates between values, it is considered divergent.

Is it possible for a series to both converge and diverge?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge. It cannot do both simultaneously. It is possible for a series to have parts that converge and parts that diverge, but as a whole, it will either converge or diverge.