How Does Metabolic Rate Affect Workout Efficiency?

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary: So, we can use the formula for work (W = F*d) and the formula for power (P = W/t) to solve them.(a) To work off a 450 Calorie bagel, we need to do 450 Calories worth of work. Since Calories are a unit of energy, we can convert to Joules (J) using the conversion factor 1 Cal = 4.1868 J. Therefore, 450 Calories = 450 * 4.1868 J = 1884.06 J. Now we can plug this into the power formula to solve for time: 1884.06 J = P * 6.3 hours. Solving for P, we get P = 1884
smashbrohamme
A weightlifter has a basal metabolic rate of 83.0 W. As he is working out, his metabolic rate increases by about 650 W.

(a) How many hours does it take him to work off a 450 Calorie bagel if he stays in bed all day? answer: 6.3hours

(b) How long does it take him if he's working out answer: 0.714hours

(c) Calculate the amount of mechanical work necessary to lift a 108 kg barbell 2.00 m.
answer: 2120 J I got this one covered. Work equals =(mass)(height)(gravity) = 2118.96.

(d) He drops the barbell to the floor and lifts it repeatedly. How many times per minute must he repeat this process to do an amount of mechanical work equivalent to his metabolic rate increase of 650 W during exercise?
answer: 18.4

Ok I listed the answers, and I need help reverse engineering these problems.
My book doesn't show any real examples of this problem.
There was one problem similar to this and the solution manual skipped over it! Lol.

I need help solving this problem, I don't even know where to start to be honest, it's like this question was just thrown in there to try to shove something in the last minute.

The only equation I can come up with that is even remotely close to what I need is

Change of U/Change of time=(Q/Change of time)+(W/change of time)

No matter how I try this I can't solve any of the answers! Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Watt is a measure of how much work is done in a particular amount of time.

The questions you're having trouble with are all asking how long it takes to do a certain amount of work.

What is metabolic rate?

Metabolic rate refers to the amount of energy or calories that an organism uses in a given period of time to carry out its various biological processes, such as breathing, digestion, and movement.

How is metabolic rate measured?

Metabolic rate can be measured in several ways, including indirect calorimetry, which measures the amount of oxygen consumed and carbon dioxide produced, and direct calorimetry, which measures the amount of heat produced by an organism.

What factors affect metabolic rate?

Metabolic rate can be affected by a variety of factors, such as age, gender, body size, physical activity, and genetics. Hormones, temperature, and certain medications can also impact metabolic rate.

What is a healthy metabolic rate?

There is no one set number for a healthy metabolic rate, as it can vary greatly depending on individual factors. However, a balanced diet and regular exercise can help maintain a healthy metabolic rate.

Can metabolic rate be changed?

While an individual's metabolic rate is largely determined by genetics, it can be influenced by lifestyle choices. Regular exercise, a balanced diet, and getting enough sleep can help increase metabolic rate and improve overall health.