Examining aluminium foils stopping potensial on <0.98c fast electrons

This could explain why the reduction in counts per foil is not constant. In summary, when using a Geiger-Muller counter and a Sr-90/Y-90 radioactive source, the decrease in counts per foil added may not be constant due to the specific energy spectrum of the source. The Kanaya-Okayama equation may be useful for estimating the penetration potential of electrons, but it only applies to energies up to 30 KeV.
leptonify
I got a Geiger-Muller counter, and a radioactive source.
The source is a Sr-90/Y-90 source, which emits highly energetic electrons, the highest energy is around 0.98c. The space between the source and counter is approximately 10 cm.
I am not operating in vacuum! The assignment I am doing is adding sheets of alufoil between the source and the counter, and observering the difference in counts per foil added.

I have the Kanaya-Okayama equation for penetration potensial in matter for electrons, but I don't know wether or not this can be used on electrons with momentum >30KeV.

I am observing that the absorbtion of electrons per foil that I add is not constant.
The decrease in counts per foil is not the same. At first, it is about 50, then 30, then around 5.
That is, each foil is about 14,5μm. Why is not the reductions in counts constant?
Is it relevant to think that this is because of the energyspectrum from the radioactive source?

Dont know if this is the right place to post.. (new user)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is relevant to consider the energy spectrum of the radioactive source in this case. The Kanaya-Okayama equation is valid for electrons with momentum up to 30 KeV, so it should be able to give you an estimate of the penetration potential in matter for electrons of different energies. However, the decrease in counts per foil will depend on the specific energy spectrum of your source, as the number of electrons that are stopped by each foil depends on the energies of the electrons that are emitted.

1. How does aluminium foil stop fast electrons?

Aluminium foil is able to stop fast electrons due to its high atomic number and dense structure. When the fast electrons collide with the atoms in the foil, they lose energy and slow down, eventually coming to a stop.

2. What is the significance of a stopping potential below 0.98c for fast electrons?

A stopping potential below 0.98c means that the fast electrons have lost enough energy to slow down to a speed below 0.98 times the speed of light. This indicates that the aluminium foil is effective in stopping the fast electrons.

3. How is the stopping potential of aluminium foil on fast electrons measured?

The stopping potential can be measured by using a device called a photocell, which measures the energy of the electrons after they pass through the aluminium foil. By varying the voltage applied to the photocell, the stopping potential can be determined.

4. Can other materials besides aluminium foil be used to stop fast electrons?

Yes, other materials with high atomic numbers and dense structures, such as lead or gold, can also be effective in stopping fast electrons. However, aluminium foil is often preferred due to its low cost and availability.

5. What are the applications of studying the stopping potential of aluminium foil on fast electrons?

Studying the stopping potential of aluminium foil on fast electrons is important in fields such as particle physics, radiation therapy, and materials science. It can also help in understanding the properties of different materials and their interactions with high-speed particles.