Quantum Theory of Metal- Mean Free Path

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving silver's density and resistivity, and calculating the mean free path using the given equations. The attempted solution yielded a result that was off by a factor of 106 and the reason for this discrepancy was not known. It was suggested that the given density may have been in the wrong unit (kg/cm3 instead of kg/m3) but this did not seem to make sense due to the units of resistivity being in Ω*m.
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

I'm off by a factor of 106 and I have no idea why.

"Silver has a density of 10.5*103 kg/m3 and a resistivity of 1.60*10-8 Ω*m at room temperature. Assume that each silver atom contributes one electron to the electron gas. Assume that EF = 5.48 eV"

What's the mean free path?

Homework Equations

L = (mevFσ)/(ne2)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so vF = √(2EF/me) = 1.39*106 m/s

n = ([itex]\frac{1 free electron}{1 atom}[/itex])([itex]\frac{6.02*10^{23} atoms}{1 mol}[/itex])([itex]\frac{10.5 g}{1 m^{3}}[/itex])([itex]\frac{1 mol}{107.87 g}[/itex]) = 5.86x10[itex]^{22}[/itex] [itex]\frac{electrons}{m^{3}}[/itex]

and ρ = [itex]\frac{1}{σ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1.60*10^{-8} Ω*m}[/itex] = 6.25*107 (Ω*m)-1

thus L = [itex]\frac{(9.109*10^{-31} kg)(1.39*10^{6} m/s)(6.25*10^{7} (Ω*m)^{-1}}{(5.86*10^{22} (electrons/m^{3}))(1.6*10^{-19} C)^{2}}[/itex]

and I get 0.0527 m when the back of the book says the answer is 52.7 nm, so I'm off by 106 and I have no idea why

maybe the density they gave in the book should be kg per cm3? That would fix the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
, but it does not seem to make sense since the units of resistivity are Ω*m, so why would the density be in cm3?

1. What is the Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path?

The Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path is a theory that explains the behavior of electrons in metals. It states that electrons in a metal behave as waves rather than particles and have a certain probability of colliding with impurities or defects in the metal, known as the mean free path.

2. How does the Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, electrons in a metal are considered to be particles that move in straight lines between collisions. However, the Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path takes into account the wave-like nature of electrons and the probabilistic nature of their collisions.

3. What factors affect the mean free path of electrons in a metal?

The mean free path of electrons in a metal can be affected by the temperature, the density of the metal, and the presence of impurities or defects in the metal. Higher temperatures and greater densities generally result in shorter mean free paths, while the presence of impurities or defects can increase the mean free path.

4. How is the mean free path related to the electrical conductivity of a metal?

The mean free path is inversely related to the electrical conductivity of a metal. This means that as the mean free path decreases, the electrical conductivity increases. This is because shorter mean free paths result in more frequent collisions, which hinder the flow of electrons through the metal and decrease its conductivity.

5. What practical applications does the Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path have?

The Quantum Theory of Metal-Mean Free Path has many practical applications, particularly in the field of nanotechnology. It is used to understand and optimize the electrical and thermal conductivities of materials on a nanoscale level, as well as in the development of new electronic devices and materials with specific conductivity properties.