Solving Escape Velocity of the Sun: Troubleshooting an Error

In summary, the conversation is about finding the escape velocity of the sun using the formula v_e=\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} or v_e=\sqrt{\frac{2\mu}{r}}. The person is having trouble getting the correct answer and suspects it may be due to the gravitational constant. They estimate the escape velocity to be 617.54 km/s, but a more precise calculation using the correct units gives a result of 619.3 km/s. The conversation also touches upon the use of square roots and breaking down the formula into two factors.
DB
I can't seem to obtain the right answer using the escape velocity formula. I think my problem is with the gravitational constant. I would like to find the escape velocity of the sun.

[tex]v_e=\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/tex] or [tex]v_e=\sqrt{\frac{2\mu}{r}}[/tex]

[tex]v_e_\odot=617.54(km/s)[/tex]

[tex]v_e_\odot=\sqrt{\frac{2*6.673e-11*1.9891e30(kg)}{696000(km)}}[/tex]

[tex]v_e_\odot=\sqrt{~3.8141e14}\neq 617.54(km/s)[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay,i'll make some approximations,but i'll get the result and the order of magnitude.
[tex]v_{esc.,Sun}\sim\sqrt{\frac{4\cdot6.673}{696}}\sqrt{\frac{10^{30}10^{-11}}{10^{6}}}\frac{m}{s}\sim \sqrt{0.0383}\sqrt{10}\cdot 10^{6} \frac{m}{s}\sim 619278\frac{m}{s}\sim 619.3\frac{Km}{s} [/tex]

Using more precise values for radius ad Sun's mass will give about [itex] 617.54\frac{Km}{s} [/itex].

Daniel.

PS.I don't know how u got that figure under the radical.

Thnx. I see what youve done but don't understand why. How come you broke it down to 2 factors:

[tex]v_{esc.,Sun}\sim\sqrt{\frac{4\cdot6.673}{696}}\sqrt{\frac{10^{30}10^{-11}}{10^{6}}}\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

And how come you multiplied by 4 instead of 2?
Thnx

Here's the easy way to calculate it using google calculator

The mistake in your calculation is that the value of G you use is in MKS units
G = 6.67300 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2

and you put in the radius of the sun in km, not meters.

DB said:
Thnx. I see what youve done but don't understand why. How come you broke it down to 2 factors:

[tex]v_{esc.,Sun}\sim\sqrt{\frac{4\cdot6.673}{696}}\sqrt{\frac{10^{30}10^{-11}}{10^{6}}}\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

And how come you multiplied by 4 instead of 2?
Thnx

Since
[tex] \sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} [/tex]
,i could break it into 2 square roots,putting the powers of 10 aside.
That '4' appears from the product between 2 (initially in the formula) and 2 (from the Sun's mass).

Daniel.

Ahh, ok 1.9891

1. What is escape velocity and why is it important to calculate for the Sun?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or star. It is important to calculate the escape velocity of the Sun because it helps us understand how much energy is needed for an object to leave the Sun's orbit and travel through space. This is crucial in space exploration and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.

2. What is the formula for calculating escape velocity?

The formula for calculating escape velocity is:
Ve = √(2GM/R)
Where Ve is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object (in this case, the Sun), and R is the distance from the center of the larger object to the starting point of the object trying to escape.

3. What could cause errors when calculating escape velocity of the Sun?

Errors can occur when calculating escape velocity of the Sun due to incorrect values used for mass, distance, or the gravitational constant. Units of measurement must also be consistent throughout the calculation. Additionally, rounding errors or using an incorrect formula can also lead to errors in the final result.

4. How can we troubleshoot errors when calculating escape velocity of the Sun?

To troubleshoot errors, it is important to double check all values used in the calculation and make sure they are accurate. It may be helpful to use multiple sources to verify the values. If the formula is incorrect, it should be corrected and the calculation redone. Rounding errors can be reduced by using more precise values or rounding at the end of the calculation. It may also be helpful to break down the calculation into smaller parts to identify where the error may be occurring.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating escape velocity of the Sun?

When calculating escape velocity of the Sun, it is important to also consider the effects of other celestial bodies, such as planets, on the object's motion. The Sun's rotation and the object's trajectory also play a role in the calculation. Additionally, the object's own mass and velocity must be taken into account when determining if it can reach escape velocity from the Sun's gravitational pull.