Integration of sqrt(x^2 - 9) ?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a hyperbola cut off by the line x=4. The equation of the hyperbola is given as \frac{x^2}{9} - \frac{y^2}{4} = 1 and to solve for the area, the integration of \sqrt{x^2-9} is needed. Different methods are discussed, including integration by parts and substitution using hyperbolic trigonometric identities. The final answer is given as \frac{2}{3} * (\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{x^2-9} - \frac{9}{2}ln[\sqrt{x^2-9}+x
sporff
This seems like it should be easy but I can't seem to wrap my brain around it right now. I'm integrating to find the area of a hyperbola cut off by the line x=4 (I assume just the nose of the hyperbola cut off by the line on the positive side)

hyperbola:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{9} - \frac{y^2}{4} = 1[/tex]

Since it's cut off by the line x=4 I rearrange the equation in terms of x.
[tex]y = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{x^2-9}[/tex]

I should just need [tex]\int{\sqrt{x^2-9}} dx[/tex] (mulltiplied by 2/3 and then solve for the area, of course) then, yes? The only way I've tried is substituting in x = 3sec(u) in which leaves you with (including the 2/3 in this):

[tex]6\int\tan^2{u} sec{u} du[/tex]

Which doesn't seem any easier. Any hints? This is not homework ask I'm self-teaching in my spare time. Hints rule but I'm not turning down a full answer either as this has been bugging me for a couple of days now. :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
sporff said:
This seems like it should be easy but I can't seem to wrap my brain around it right now. I'm integrating to find the area of a hyperbola cut off by the line x=4 (I assume just the nose of the hyperbola cut off by the line on the positive side)

hyperbola:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{9} - \frac{y^2}{4} = 1[/tex]

Since it's cut off by the line x=4 I rearrange the equation in terms of x.
[tex]y = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{x^2-9}[/tex]

I should just need [tex]\int{\sqrt{x^2-9}} dx[/tex] (mulltiplied by 2/3 and then solve for the area, of course) then, yes? The only way I've tried is substituting in x = 3sec(u) in which leaves you with (including the 2/3 in this):

[tex]6\int\tan^2{u} sec{u} du[/tex]

Which doesn't seem any easier. Any hints? This is not homework ask I'm self-teaching in my spare time. Hints rule but I'm not turning down a full answer either as this has been bugging me for a couple of days now. :mad:
You can use the "integration by parts" formula.

How about writing it
[tex] 3\int \sqrt{(\frac{x}{3})^{2}-1} \ dx [/tex]

and then make the obvious substitution
[tex] \frac{x}{3}=\cosh u [/tex]

Daniel.

Hmm I've tried integration by parts a few different ways like tan^2 * sec (which ends up being too hard or circular and cancelling out), and also rearranging it in different ways first.

And as for the cosh substitution. It requires taking the integral of sinh^2 though. I haven't been taught any way of doing that other than taking the integral of it in terms of e. When you take the integral and go to resubstitute x's back in for the u's, since u=cosh^(-1)[x/3), it seems overly complicated to do.

Ah I don't know. I'd think my book wouldn't give me integrals that can't be solved at least somewhat normally (with what I've done so far I mean). I've searched through all my notes and I haven't had to do one like this before. The closest is substituting tan's or sin's in for sqrt(a^2-x^2) type functions or partial fractions and things.

If anyone can lend a hand... :frown:

Use the substitution i prescribed and the (hyperbolic) trigonometric identity:

[tex] \sinh^{2}x=\frac{1-\cosh 2x}{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

For this integral...
[tex]\frac{2}{3} * \int{\sqrt{x^2-9}} dx[/tex]

Here is this answer that my TI-89 and Wolfram's Integrator give:

[tex] \frac{2}{3} * (\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{x^2-9} - \frac{9}{2}ln[\sqrt{x^2-9}+x])[/tex]

dextercioby said:
Use the substitution i prescribed and the (hyperbolic) trigonometric identity:

[tex] \sinh^{2}x=\frac{1-\cosh 2x}{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Ah I will try that out. Offhand, do you know if it yields the answer in my previous post?

Of course it does...BTW to show that it ain't really pretty...You'll end up with the [itex] arg\cosh x [/itex] which you may want (it's not compulsory) to express it in terms of the natural logarithm...

Daniel.

Thanks for the help. You are the man. BTW, What did you mean by

dextercioby said:
You'll end up with the [itex] arg\cosh x [/itex] which you may want (it's not compulsory) to express it in terms of the natural logarithm...

do you mean for taking the integral of
[tex]\frac{1-\cosh 2x}{2} [/tex]
and expressing it as
[tex] (\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{x^2-9} - \frac{9}{2}ln[\sqrt{x^2-9}+x])[/tex]
?

Excuse my newbness.

No,your integral,initially had the variable "x".After the substitution (cosh u),the new integration variable will be "u"...Evaluate that integral,write the antiderivative and then take the transformed (by substitution) limits,in one word (actually more :tongue2: ) apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus of Leibniz & Newton...

Daniel.

Ahh I got it now. I guess I wasn't thinking straight when you were talking about expressing cosh in terms of it's natural log equivalent. I forgot about that identity.

Your help is much appreciated

1. What is the formula for integrating sqrt(x^2 - 9)?

The formula for integrating sqrt(x^2 - 9) is ∫√(x^2 - 9) dx = x√(x^2 - 9)/2 + 9ln|x + √(x^2 - 9)|/2 + C.

2. What is the domain and range of sqrt(x^2 - 9)?

The domain of sqrt(x^2 - 9) is all real numbers except for x = ±3, as this would result in taking the square root of a negative number. The range is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0.

3. How do you solve an indefinite integral of sqrt(x^2 - 9)?

To solve an indefinite integral of sqrt(x^2 - 9), you can use the substitution method by letting u = x^2 - 9. The integral then becomes ∫√u du, which can be solved using integration by parts or by using the formula for integrating sqrt(x) dx = (2/3)x^(3/2) + C.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in the integration of sqrt(x^2 - 9)?

The constant of integration represents the family of curves that satisfy the original integral. It is added to the final solution because when taking the derivative of the integral, the constant will cancel out and give the original function back.

5. Can the integral of sqrt(x^2 - 9) be solved using other methods aside from substitution?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(x^2 - 9) can also be solved using trigonometric substitution or by using the substitution u = √(x^2 - 9) instead of u = x^2 - 9. However, the substitution method is the most common and straightforward approach for solving this integral.