How can I safely separate mains phase for electricity transfer?

In summary: Inductive_reactanceIn summary, the conversation discusses different methods for transferring electricity and separating the phase, including using a transformer, pulsed DC, conversion to light impulses via laser, and using thyristors. The efficiency and safety of these methods are also mentioned. The conversation ultimately suggests for the individual to gain a better understanding of electricity and electronics before attempting to come up with new power transfer methods.
Crazymechanic
Hi I am thinking of ways how to transfer electricity so that I can separate the phase magnetically or otherwise, Ok we all know transformer is one way to do it but it's big with mains frequency, other would be pulsed DC in an smps , but that's is already a very tried idea, is there any other way of for example separate the mains phase so that I would end up with something that i can safely put through rectifier and use ?
How about some sort of mains conversion to light impulses via laser or somethin and then back to electricity conversion? Ok I understand I am going Star trek now but still is there something like this even economically and any other way possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
so that I can separate the phase magnetically or otherwise
That does not make sense.
How about some sort of mains conversion to light impulses via laser or somethin and then back to electricity conversion?
Very inefficient (10-20% for electricity to laser light, if you care about efficiency, and maybe 50-60% back to electricity).

What do you want to do at all?

I recommend that you pick up a basic electronics book and read it over thoroughly to understand electricity and electronics before trying to come up with new power transfer methods.

Oh I'm sorry just my english isn't that great so about the magnet thing it was meant that for safety in a transformer the primary windings are physically separate from the secondary windings.Just that the size if operating mains 50/60hz is pretty huge as we all know it.

I was thinking about building a PSU from thyristors or something like that but then there is the problem of the safety because the mains phase isn't separated.

Sorry, but your posts are virtually impossible to understand.

Hi I am thinking of ways how to transfer electricity so that I can separate the phase

'transfer', whatever that means, has nothing to do with phase. Electricity can be distributed in one or two or three or more phases...see for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-phase_electric_power

In addition, a capacitor and a inductor will each individually alter the phase between the voltage and current. A resistor does not cause such a phase change.
See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_reactance

1. What is electrical energy transfer?

Electrical energy transfer refers to the movement of electrical energy from one location or form to another. This can occur in various ways, such as through wires in a circuit or through electromagnetic waves.

2. How does electrical energy transfer occur?

Electrical energy transfer occurs when there is a flow of electrons from one point to another. This can happen through a closed circuit, where the electrons move through a conductor, or through an open circuit, where the electrons travel through the air as electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the different methods of electrical energy transfer?

There are several methods of electrical energy transfer, including conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction involves the direct transfer of heat through a material, convection involves the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, and radiation involves the emission and absorption of electromagnetic waves.

4. What factors affect electrical energy transfer?

The rate of electrical energy transfer is affected by several factors, including the type of material the energy is moving through, the temperature difference between the two points, and the distance between the two points. Additionally, the type of circuit and the resistance of the circuit can also impact the transfer of electrical energy.

5. How can we increase or decrease the rate of electrical energy transfer?

The rate of electrical energy transfer can be increased by increasing the voltage or the current in the circuit. It can also be decreased by increasing the resistance in the circuit. Additionally, the use of insulating materials can decrease the rate of energy transfer, while conductive materials can increase it.