Formulating Ripple Equation for 2D Symmetry

• Thread starter sodaboy7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ripple
In summary, the speaker is seeking an approximation for a 2D ripple equation with specific conditions, such as highest amplitude on the y-axis at x=0 and symmetry about the y-axis. They also mention the importance of normalizing the square of the function's norm at infinity. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and asks for clarification on certain aspects, such as whether a source function and initial displacement are needed. They also mention that the function cannot be limited to only positive values, as real water ripples go both ways. The speaker then realizes they made a mistake and actually want a 1D solution.
sodaboy7
I want to formulate an approx 2D ripple equation μ(x,y). It should satisfy following:

1) it should have highest amplitude on y-axis at x=0. It should be symmetrical about y axis. It should fade away at some x on both positive and negetive x-axis symmetrically. Fading in a way of decreasing amplitude. It should not give negetive value of y.

2) most important. The square of norm of μ should be normalized in infinity.

I am not good at math but this is integral part of my project. It can be visualized as : consider x-axis as still surface of water and you drop a pebble on it. But it should be shifted upwards such that it should not fall in negetive y axis. Also it should be preferably in cartesian co ordinates

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a "ripple" like function on a plane surface that models a water wave?
Your conditions are:
1.symmetric across the y-axis (simply solve in polar coordinates, with the condition that the function obeys ψ(r,θ)=ψ(r,θ+pi)
2.Falls off at infinity, that's fine we'll just pick a solution that does this

And then simply solve the wave equation in polar coordinates with these conditions.
Ta-da.

However, could you specify how you want it?
There are a few things you have to consider.
1.Source function?
2.Initial displacement?

Also, you cannot limit the function to be positive, that would be non-physical. Real water ripples go both ways.Edit: Now I'm a bit confused, do you want a plane solution or a one dimensional solution? I thought you meant the former, seeing as you referred to the function as a "ripple equation" and specified two arguments for it (mu(x,y)), but then I read your conditions again and you also imply you want a one dimensional one. (i.e. y(x))

Last edited:
HomogenousCow said:
Do you mean a "ripple" like function on a plane surface that models a water wave?
Your conditions are:
1.symmetric across the y-axis (simply solve in polar coordinates, with the condition that the function obeys ψ(r,θ)=ψ(r,θ+pi)
2.Falls off at infinity, that's fine we'll just pick a solution that does this

And then simply solve the wave equation in polar coordinates with these conditions.
Ta-da.

However, could you specify how you want it?
There are a few things you have to consider.
1.Source function?
2.Initial displacement?

Also, you cannot limit the function to be positive, that would be non-physical. Real water ripples go both ways.

Edit: Now I'm a bit confused, do you want a plane solution or a one dimensional solution? I thought you meant the former, seeing as you referred to the function as a "ripple equation" and specified two arguments for it (mu(x,y)), but then I read your conditions again and you also imply you want a one dimensional one. (i.e. y(x))

I did a silly mistake there, I want 1D solution of it. :-p

I want it in form y(x)

[itex] y(x) = Ae^{-bx}\cos{x} [/itex] fits the bill. What exactly are you trying to model? You're better off deriving a differential equation and trying to solve it than just picking out a function from random that meets certain requirements.

1. What is the purpose of formulating a ripple equation for 2D symmetry?

The purpose of formulating a ripple equation for 2D symmetry is to provide a mathematical model for understanding and predicting the behavior of ripples or waves in two-dimensional systems. This equation takes into account the symmetry of the system, which can greatly impact the propagation and interference of waves.

2. How is the 2D symmetry of a system determined?

The 2D symmetry of a system is determined by examining the geometric properties of the system, such as its shape and boundaries. It can also be determined by considering any constraints or conditions that the system may have, such as constant temperature or pressure.

3. Can the ripple equation for 2D symmetry be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the ripple equation for 2D symmetry can be applied to all types of waves, as long as the system exhibits 2D symmetry. This includes electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and water waves, among others.

4. How is the ripple equation for 2D symmetry derived?

The ripple equation for 2D symmetry is derived by applying the laws of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum, to a two-dimensional system. This results in a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in the system.

5. What are some practical applications of the ripple equation for 2D symmetry?

The ripple equation for 2D symmetry has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of waves in various materials and structures, designing antennas and sensors, and understanding the properties of sound and light. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and fluid dynamics.