Does a subsequence only have to have some terms

In summary, the sequence has a subsequence that converges monotonically, but past a certain point, you can't pick terms off the sequence to keep the monotonicity.
eckiller
Does a subsequence only have to have "some" terms

This is an example from my text, which I do not understand.

Suppose (s_n)is a sequence of POSITIVE numbers such that inf{s_n | n in NaturalNumbers} = 0. The sequence need not converge or even be bounded , but it has a subsequence that converges monotonically.

They then give a recursive process on how to pick the elements of the subsequence. My problem is as follows. Suppose the sequence is:

s_n = (n - 10)^2

This is a shifted parabola (but sequence) that has an inf = 0. A subsequence must have infinite terms, correct? I can see how you can pick terms starting from the left hand side of the vertex, and pick a monotone decreasing terms up to the vertex (0, 0), but what about after that? s_n starts moving back up and goes to +infinity. So past a certain point, we can't pick anymore points off s_n for our subsequence and keep the monotonicity of it.

So what am I missing? Does a subsequence only have to have "some" terms from the main sequence it is a subsequence of?

Physics news on Phys.org
eckiller said:
This is an example from my text, which I do not understand.

Suppose (s_n)is a sequence of POSITIVE numbers such that inf{s_n | n in NaturalNumbers} = 0. The sequence need not converge or even be bounded , but it has a subsequence that converges monotonically.

They then give a recursive process on how to pick the elements of the subsequence. My problem is as follows. Suppose the sequence is:

s_n = (n - 10)^2

But this isn't a sequence of positive numbers s_10=0.

learningphysics said:
But this isn't a sequence of positive numbers s_10=0.

Do you see why that's important? If you allowed 0 in the sequence or if the inf was a positive number, then a sequence that included inf but all other numbers might be far away from it which would violate your conclusion.

The inf of the sequence is 0 but 0 itself cannot be in the sequence! Given any integer n, let ε= 1/n. Are there any members of the sequence less than ε?

1. Does a subsequence have to have the same number of terms as the original sequence?

No, a subsequence does not have to have the same number of terms as the original sequence. It can have fewer or more terms, as long as the terms appear in the same order as they do in the original sequence.

2. Can a subsequence have repeating terms?

Yes, a subsequence can have repeating terms. As long as the terms appear in the same order as they do in the original sequence, the subsequence is valid.

3. Can a subsequence contain terms that are not in the original sequence?

No, a subsequence can only contain terms that are present in the original sequence. It cannot contain any additional terms.

4. Does the subsequence have to be a contiguous subset of the original sequence?

No, the subsequence does not have to be a contiguous subset of the original sequence. It can skip terms or have gaps as long as the terms appear in the same order as they do in the original sequence.

5. Can a subsequence be longer than the original sequence?

No, a subsequence cannot be longer than the original sequence. It can have the same length or be shorter, but it cannot have more terms than the original sequence.