Quick simple question about University math

• Schools
  • Thread starter jimmyly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation is about whether topics such as Logarithmic Functions, Exponential Functions, Arithmetic sequences and series will be covered in depth at the university level. The person asking the question wants to be well-prepared for university math and physics courses by mastering the basics, as they find high school math to be too formulaic. They also mention that their high school math books and teachers did not explain the derivations for laws of exponents and logarithms.
jimmyly
Currently taking mathematics12/precalculus12(Canada) i think its equivalent to algebra II in the US(someone correct me if i am wrong.)

So, question is:

1) Will topics like Logarithmic Functions + Exponential Functions, Arithmetic sequences and series, etc. be covered and explored in depth at the university level?

i find high school math juvenile the way they give you formulas and expect you to use them without questioning why and how. Basically i want to be prepared for university math and physics courses the best i can by mastering the basics.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyly asked and wrote:

1) Will topics like Logarithmic Functions + Exponential Functions, Arithmetic sequences and series, etc. be covered and explored in depth at the university level?

YES.

i find high school math juvenile the way they give you formulas and expect you to use them without questioning why and how. Basically i want to be prepared for university math and physics courses the best i can by mastering the basics.

What? The book used and the teacher did not show derivations for the laws of exponents and of logarithms? Good books from even 20 to 40 years ago will have these.

1. What is the purpose of studying university math?

Studying university math helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are applicable in various fields and industries. It also provides a foundation for advanced studies in mathematics and related disciplines.

2. Is university math difficult?

University math can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the individual's aptitude and effort. With proper studying techniques and practice, anyone can succeed in university math.

3. What are the common topics covered in university math?

Common topics in university math include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability, and statistics. These topics build upon each other and provide a basis for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

4. How can I prepare for university math courses?

To prepare for university math courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in high school math. Reviewing basic concepts and practicing problem-solving can also help. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the course material and seeking help from professors or tutors can be beneficial.

5. What career options are available for math majors?

Math majors have a wide range of career options, including data analysis, finance, actuarial science, education, and research. A degree in math also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics.