How to know if a force is body force or not?

• Thread starter arbit_daaku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Force
In summary, a body force is a type of force that acts on an object at every point in the body, rather than at a single point. It is caused by external factors and does not require direct contact between objects. Examples include gravity, buoyancy, and magnetic fields. A force can be both a body force and a contact force, such as the force of gravity and the normal force from the ground acting on a person standing.
arbit_daaku
If, in a problem, I want to know if a given force is body force or not, what should I do? for example- a rod rotating about an axis, how will I know if the centripetal force is Body Force or not?
(body forces are those forces which depend on volume)

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do you define a body force?

A body force is a type of force that acts on an object at every point in the body, rather than at a single point. It is typically caused by external factors such as gravity, electromagnetic fields, or pressure differentials.

2. What is the difference between a body force and a contact force?

A contact force is a force that results from direct physical contact between two objects, while a body force acts on an entire object without direct contact.

3. How can I determine if a force is a body force or not?

A force can be considered a body force if it affects the entire object uniformly, without causing any deformation or displacement. Additionally, body forces do not require direct contact between objects to be applied.

4. Are there any common examples of body forces?

Yes, some common examples of body forces include gravity, buoyancy, and magnetic fields. These forces act on an entire object rather than at a single point.

5. Can a force be both a body force and a contact force?

Yes, a force can be both a body force and a contact force. For example, a person standing on the ground experiences the force of gravity (a body force) as well as the normal force from the ground (a contact force).