Bore Lapping/Polishing for Firearms: Cheap Portable Solutions

• Thread starter will0057
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is having trouble finding a tool to remove pitting and marking in a shotgun bore at an affordable price. They have tried brake honing stones and an expanding mandrel, but have not found a satisfactory solution. One potential option suggested is a valve-guide hone, but it may be expensive to purchase. Another suggestion is using a sponge mop with valve grinding paste for rotation and reciprocation to avoid high/low spots.
will0057
Hi - sorry I'm not an engineer just desperate!

I want to remove pitting and marking in a shotgun bore and am having problems finding a tool which will do this in the firearms sector - and if I do I am sure it will be at a premium price - removing a small amount ie less than a thou of the internal diameter of a bore and polishing must be a fairly common requirement in engineering - does anyone know of a cheap portable tool which will do this (as opposed to factory honing) I want something I can put on a drill and spin in the bore - have tried brake honing stones but really need something which will apply equal pressure (or nearly) at all surfaces of the bore, the nearest I can get so far is to try rig up an expanding mandrel - is their anything commercially available?

Thanks
Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether or not this will work for you, but it might be worth checking out. There are valve-guide hones for auto mechanics. I don't know how large a bore they can service, though. Also, you'd definitely want to rent or borrow one; they cost upward of $350.
My only other suggestion would be to wrap sandpaper or drywall screen around a sponge on a stick.
(That's not my final answer, but I've got nothing else right now.)

Your bore is tapered, I imagine. That doesn't help.
How about a sponge mop and valve grinding paste? Lots of rotation and reciprocation to spread the wear and avoid high / low spots.

What is bore lapping/polishing for firearms?

Bore lapping/polishing is a process used to smooth and polish the interior surface of a firearm's barrel. This can improve the accuracy and performance of the firearm by reducing friction and removing any imperfections or rough spots on the bore's surface.

Why is bore lapping/polishing important for firearms?

Bore lapping/polishing is important because it can greatly improve the accuracy and performance of a firearm. It can also extend the life of the barrel by reducing wear and tear caused by friction. Additionally, it can make cleaning and maintenance of the firearm easier as there are fewer crevices for debris to get trapped in.

What are some cheap and portable solutions for bore lapping/polishing?

There are a few options for cheap and portable solutions for bore lapping/polishing. One option is to use a bore lapping kit, which typically includes abrasive compounds and a lapping rod that can be easily transported. Another option is to use a bore snake, which is a small and compact tool that can be used to polish the bore with a polishing compound. Additionally, there are handheld lapping tools that can be used for polishing the bore.

Can bore lapping/polishing be done at home?

Yes, bore lapping/polishing can be done at home with the right tools and materials. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and have a good understanding of the process before attempting it at home. It may also be beneficial to seek guidance from a professional gunsmith.

How often should bore lapping/polishing be done?

The frequency of bore lapping/polishing depends on the individual firearm and how often it is used. Some experts suggest doing it every 500-1000 rounds, while others recommend doing it only when necessary. It is important to regularly inspect the bore for any signs of wear or imperfections and perform lapping/polishing as needed to maintain the firearm's performance.