What is the Relationship Between Voltage and Current in Terms of Units?

In summary: This makes sense because current is defined as the flow of charge per unit time, so it is measured in units of charge divided by time. The statement about 1.24 quintillion electrons having a length is incorrect. No one is trying to measure the length of individual electrons. Instead, the units provide a way to measure the flow of electrons through a circuit. In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of watts and how they can be expressed in different systems such as cgs and mks. The relationship between voltage, current, and watts is explored, with voltage being a measure of potential difference and current being a measure of the flow of charge per unit time. The ampere is a fundamental unit in the SI system and cannot be expressed in
KC9FVV
Hello!

I was reading Asimov on Physics the other day, and found that a watt is a measure of gm cm^2/s^3. That got me thinking, if voltage times current equals watts, what would voltage and current be a measure of? I have been trying to figure it out for a while, and came up with: current= gm/s and voltage= cm^2/s^2. That is the only way I could make current work, but voltage just doesn't seem right to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cody,
Watts can be expressed in various systems e.g. cgs (cm gm sec), mks (m kg sec). To convert Watts to cgs you may want look at a table of conversions in physics or engineering texts
or a verifiable online ref... for example ---> http://users.aol.com/tspquinn/units.html

1W = (1 J/s)
1 J = 10^7 ergs
1 erg = 1 dyne cm
1 dyne = 1 gm cm/s^2

So now calculate watts in cgs.

1W = (1 J/s)*(10^7erg/J)*(1dyne cm/erg)*[(1 gm cm/s^2)/dyne]
cancel J, erg,dyne... leaving you 1W (cgs) = 10^7 gm cm^2/s^3

Which makes sense because converting this to mks
(10^7 gm cm^2/s^3)(1m/100cm)(1m/100cm)(1kg/1000gm) =
(10^7 gm cm^2/s^3)[1m^2 kg/(10^4 cm^2 10^3 gm)] =
cancel gm, cm^2 ...
10^7 kg m^2/ ((10^4*10^3) s^3) so 1W (mks) = 1 kg m^2 /s^3

So cgs and mks systems differ by constant factor 10^7,
if i choose to stay in mks (table including voltage an current)
e.g. ref ---> http://www.csee.umbc.edu/help/theory/units.shtml

I can go through a similar derivation for voltage and current but you get the idea, to save time I obtain the following:

1V = 1 (kg m^2)/( s^2 c)
1A = 1 c/s

1W(mks) = (kg m^2 c)/ (s^2 s c) , cancel c (c - Coulombs)
= 1 kg m^2/ s^3

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I still have one question. How can amperage - measured by the number of electrons that go by a certain point in a certain amount of time - be measured using cm/s? With mass I could see... 1.24 quintillion electrons weigh a certain amount, but how do 1.24 quintillion electrons have a length?

I didn't read the preceding post, but there is no way that amperes can be expressed in cm/s -- those are units of velocity! In fact, the ampere is fundamental unit in the SI system, just like the metre, kilogram, and second.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

It is not a derived unit, so it cannot be expressed in terms of these other three. Current was a physical quantity that demanded a new unit of measure. I won't try to state the official def'n of the ampere, because I'll get it wrong. You're better off looking it up. I think it has something to do with "the current required to produce _______ amount of force between two infinitely long, parallel, current - carrying wires." The ampere has, in turn, been used to define the coulomb (the amount of charge passing a point in one second when there is 1 A of current). I'm not sure whether current has a different unit in the cgs system, which you seem to be using, but I don't think so. I remember reading also that there is no British system of electrical units. Thankfully.

One volt is one joule per coulomb (J/C), which makes sense because voltage is actually potential difference. E.g. the potential difference between two terminals can be interpreted as the potential energy per unit charge gained or lost as charge flows between the terminals. So it makes sense that the voltage drop across a resistor for example, times the current flowing through that resistor, gives you the power dissipated. For you have joules lost per coulomb times coulombs going by per second = joules lost per second.
Mathematically: J/C * C/s = J/s = W

But you wanted to see everything in base units:

[tex] J = \frac{kg\cdot m^2}{s^2} [/tex]

[tex] V = \frac{J}{C} = \frac{J}{A\cdot s} = \frac{kg\cdot m^2}{A\cdot s^3} [/tex]

[tex] W = V\cdot A = \frac{kg\cdot m^2}{s^3} [/tex]

KC9FVV said:
Thanks, but I still have one question. How can amperage - measured by the number of electrons that go by a certain point in a certain amount of time - be measured using cm/s? With mass I could see... 1.24 quintillion electrons weigh a certain amount, but how do 1.24 quintillion electrons have a length?

You misread. The units given were c/s not CM. An amp is a coulomb/second or C/s.

What is a measure of volts?

Volts are a measurement of electrical potential difference or voltage. It is used to describe the amount of force that pushes electric current through a circuit.

What is a measure of amps?

Amps, or amperes, are a unit of measurement for electric current. It is used to describe the quantity of electrons flowing through a circuit per second.

How are volts and amps related?

Volts and amps are related through Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa.

Why is it important to measure volts and amps?

Measuring volts and amps is crucial in understanding and controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit. It allows us to troubleshoot and identify potential issues, ensure the safety of electrical systems, and calculate power consumption.

What tools are used to measure volts and amps?

A voltmeter is used to measure volts, while an ammeter is used to measure amps. Both are typically used in conjunction with a multimeter, which can measure both volts and amps, as well as other electrical properties such as resistance and continuity.