(GREG) permalink, in upper right corner of post

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to get a permalink to a specific post on a thread. This feature used to be available by clicking on the post number, but it has since been removed. The participants suggest a workaround by manually changing the URL, but it only works on single-page threads. The moderator is aware of the problem but cannot fix it at the moment. The single page post link has been brought back for members only, but it is not encouraged for use with guests.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
At the moment if you want to get a link to, say, post #17 of a thread and you go to the upper right corner of that post and click on the number 17 you don't get a permalink to that post. The address you get has "t=xxxyyyz" where it should have "p=postnumber".
Someone may have already mentioned this. New. I just noticed it today. Easy to work around.

Physics news on Phys.org
What?It's working fine for me.

I noticed yesterday the function was missing, and it's very useful to be able to link directly to the post. Greg, can you bring this feature back please?

It didn't require extra work and it included a link in header on the right side which a click re-opened the entire thread, letting you re-enter directly from the single post link.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a very useful feature, being able to link to a single post either all by itself, or in the context of the rest of the thread.

Would it be possible when clicking on the post number (or some other suitable link) to show a popdown menu with the the two linking options?

When I click on a post #number,it shows that post at the top

adjacent said:
When I click on a post #number,it shows that post at the top
Not on multi-page threads. If it's multi-page, it takes you completely back to the first post of the thread, which is useless.

It was a great feature that wasn't broke, something broke it.

Being able to get the single post using the permalink is useful responding to questions, etc. You can open the permalink in a new tab then copy the link into your response.

e.g. Evo, I think you should get a "thanks" for https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4638950

BTW It was a pain in the butt making this example link.

Likes 1 person
dlgoff said:
Being able to get the single post using the permalink is useful responding to questions, etc...

Until recently, if you clicked on the number in the upper right corner you would get a permalink to the isolated post. But also in the upper right there was a small print underlined version of the thread title. If you clicked on that it would convert to a permalink for the selected post IN CONTEXT with neighboring posts in the thread.

I more often found I needed the latter "in context" permalink, because the isolated post was not as useful.

So since both permalink features have gone missing, here is the workaround (if you need it).
dlgoff your post is #8, so if I click on the numeral 8 what I get in the browser window is:
...tp://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=734286#post4639020

But what I want is:
...tp://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4639020#post4639020

So I just have to replace "t=734286" by "p=4639020" in the URL that appears in the browser window, and that is the permalink. It is an easy copy-paste.

As Evo pointed out the problem (where you need to use that workaround) only surfaces if you are in the second page of the thread or higher. You only see the trouble in a multipage thread.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Greg, please fix this!

I'm afraid I can't fix this right now. I did not anticipate the multi page problem.

The single page post link is now back, but visible only for members. I don't want to encourage it's use with guests because it's problematic for Google and it creates links to a page/feature that has been deprecated from new versions of the software (aka eventually will create lots of broken links).

1. What is the "(GREG) permalink" in the upper right corner of a post?

The (GREG) permalink is a unique URL assigned to a specific post on a website. It allows users to easily share and access the post directly, without having to navigate through the website.

2. How is the (GREG) permalink different from the regular post URL?

The (GREG) permalink is different from the regular post URL in that it is a permanent link to the post, meaning it will not change even if the post is edited or moved. The regular post URL may change if the post is moved to a different page or if the website structure is altered.

3. Can the (GREG) permalink be customized?

Yes, in most cases the (GREG) permalink can be customized to include keywords or a specific title. This can make the link more user-friendly and easier to remember.

4. Why is the (GREG) permalink important?

The (GREG) permalink is important because it provides a direct and permanent link to a specific post on a website. It also helps with search engine optimization and makes it easier for people to share and access the post.

5. How do I find the (GREG) permalink for a post?

The (GREG) permalink for a post can usually be found by clicking on the post title or the date/time stamp of the post. It may also be displayed in the post options or settings menu.