Exploring the Possibilities of Time Travel: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: This is a difficult question. If you travel to the past, you would have to pass through the present, which means that someone or something must be protecting the present. It is possible that the time travelers have all gone into the future, and that is why we do not see any of them here in our time.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I was just thinking about how cool it could be to time travel, but I don't know if it's technically possible. The only Physics class I took was a first semester calculus based physics class so I don't know if they ever talk about time travel in other physics classes.

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do you think humans can time travel? I believe in time that physicists and engineers will find a way to travel forward and backward through time using some type of applicable knowledge we know now or will learn in the future.

Btw, I hope to be one of those physicists or engineers!

Physics news on Phys.org
sheldonrocks97 said:
Is Time Travel Possible?

No.

Do a forum search. This topic has been beaten to death here.

Yes, time travel is possible. From the past to the future, one day at a time.

SteamKing said:
Yes, time travel is possible. From the past to the future, one day at a time.

at the rate of 24 hours per day.

and after a while the novelty wears off

sheldonrocks97 said:
I was just thinking about how cool it could be to time travel, but I don't know if it's technically possible. The only Physics class I took was a first semester calculus based physics class so I don't know if they ever talk about time travel in other physics classes.

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do you think humans can time travel? I believe in time that physicists and engineers will find a way to travel forward and backward through time using some type of applicable knowledge we know now or will learn in the future.

Btw, I hope to be one of those physicists or engineers!
You are asking whether it is technically possible.

It is theoretically possible for you to travel far into the future, say a million years, in your lifetime. But it is not possible for you to come back.

If you are asking whether the technology exists at the present time to make that trip, the answer is: "no".

AM

Consider this. If time travel to the past is possible, then where are all the time travelers that should be here in our time?

1. What is time travel?

Time travel refers to the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards. It is a theoretical concept that has been explored in science fiction, but has yet to be proven possible in real life.

2. Is time travel possible according to current scientific understanding?

According to our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe, time travel is not possible. The theory of relativity states that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity, but it does not allow for traveling back in time.

3. Can time travel be achieved through wormholes or black holes?

While wormholes and black holes are both concepts that involve bending or warping of space and time, they do not provide a means for time travel. It is currently believed that entering a wormhole or falling into a black hole would result in being crushed or stretched due to extreme gravitational forces.

4. What are some proposed theories on how time travel could be possible?

Some theories suggest that time travel could be achieved through the use of advanced technology or by harnessing the power of a black hole. Others propose the concept of parallel universes or alternate timelines, where time travel could potentially be possible.

5. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?

As of now, there are no confirmed instances of time travel in real life. However, there are some phenomena that may appear to be time travel, such as time dilation experienced by astronauts in space or the apparent movement of light around massive objects. These can be explained by the theory of relativity and do not constitute actual time travel.