A good chemistry/org chem. Lab manual?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good chemistry lab manual or book that includes pictures and illustrations of lab equipment, instructions on how to use the equipment, and useful lab techniques. Some books recommended are "Organikum" and its English translation, Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry, and Vogel's Quantitative Chemical Analysis. Another book mentioned is Techniques in Organic Chemistry by Jerry Mhorig.
christian0710
Hi, I'm looking for a good chemistry lab manual/book that discribes how the general lab equipment works (with pictures and illustrations) how to use it, and perhaps some good lab techniques.

What books can you all recommend?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In Germany the classic book is the "Organikum", there is also an english translation of one of the earlier editions but probably out of print.

Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry comes to mind. And perhaps Vogel's Quantitative Chemical Analysis.

Borek said:
Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry comes to mind. And perhaps Vogel's Quantitative Chemical Analysis.

Looks interesting, and quite big!. Is it easy to understand? I've also considered Techniques in Organic Chemistry - by Jerry Mhorig. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429219564/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

I highly recommend the "Laboratory Techniques in Organic Chemistry" by Jerry R. Mohrig, David Alberg, Gretchen Hofmeister, and Paul F. Schatz. This lab manual provides clear and concise descriptions of lab equipment, along with detailed illustrations and step-by-step instructions on how to use them. It also includes a variety of useful lab techniques, making it a comprehensive resource for any organic chemistry lab. Additionally, the "Organic Chemistry Lab Survival Manual" by James W. Zubrick is another excellent choice, with easy-to-follow instructions and helpful tips for successful lab experiments. Both of these manuals have been widely used and praised by students and instructors alike. I hope this helps in your search for a good chemistry/org chem lab manual.

1. What makes a good chemistry/org chem. lab manual?

A good chemistry/org chem. lab manual should be well-organized, clearly written, and easy to follow. It should also include background information, safety precautions, and detailed procedures for each experiment. Additionally, a good lab manual should have a variety of experiments that cover different topics and techniques.

2. How can I use a lab manual effectively?

To use a lab manual effectively, it is important to read through the entire experiment before beginning and make sure you understand all of the steps and safety precautions. It is also helpful to take notes and record your observations and results accurately. If you encounter any difficulties, don't hesitate to ask your instructor for help.

3. Are there any specific safety precautions I should be aware of when using a lab manual?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority in a lab setting. Make sure to read and follow all safety instructions listed in the lab manual, including wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and handling hazardous materials with caution. If you are unsure about any safety precautions, consult with your instructor before proceeding.

4. Can I modify the experiments in a lab manual?

It is generally not recommended to modify experiments in a lab manual as they have been carefully designed and tested to produce reliable results. However, if you have a specific research question or interest, you may discuss possible modifications with your instructor beforehand.

5. How can a lab manual help me prepare for exams?

A lab manual can be a valuable resource for exam preparation. By following the procedures and conducting experiments in the manual, you will gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques covered in your course. Additionally, some lab manuals may include practice questions or review sections to help you prepare for exams.