Time-Dependent Classical Lagrangian with variation of time

In summary, the author is stuck at the first equation in a review of the calculus of variations. He looks for help on a website and finds that the answer is in the attachment. The attachment does not treat coordinate variations, so he needs to find a specialized textbook.
Hello everyone!

I was reading the following review:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2009-4&page=articlesu23.html

And I got stuck at the first equation; (10.1)

So how I understand this is that there are two variations,

[itex]\tilde{q}(t)=q(t)+\delta q(t) \hspace{1cm} \text{and} \hspace{1cm} \tilde{t}=t+\delta t [/itex]

Further we also have a `total variaton' for q at first order:
[itex]\tilde{q}(\tilde{t})=q(t)+\delta q(t)+\dot{q}(t)\delta t [/itex]

and its derivative,
[itex]\dot{\tilde{q}}(\tilde{t})=\dot{q}(t)+\delta\dot{q}(t)+\ddot{q}(t) \delta t [/itex]

So now how is [itex]\delta L(q,\dot{q},t)[/itex] defined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your question about the paper, or about the fundamentals of the calculus of variations?

If the latter, see the attachment at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=752726#2

It contains a leisurely introduction to the calculus of variations, followed by derivations of Lagrangians & Hamiltonians.

The question is about the fundamentals of calculus of variations. I know how to derive the usual Euler-Lagrange equations without the extra variation in t [itex] \tilde{t}=t+\delta t [/itex]. But I am having trouble incorporating this extra variation.

if i define:
[itex] \delta L = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} \delta q + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} \frac{\partial q}{\partial t}\delta t + \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{q} } \delta \dot{q} +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial t}\delta t + \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} \delta t [/itex]

then it gets a similar result as (10.1) but everywhere there is [itex] \dot{q} [/itex] they have [itex] -\dot{q} [/itex].

Its driving me pretty crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Then download the attachment ...

Unfortunately the attachment does not treat coordinate variations.

Then you will need to find a specialized textbook.

1. What is a time-dependent classical Lagrangian?

A time-dependent classical Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system over time. It is used in classical mechanics to calculate the motion of a system by taking into account the positions, velocities, and accelerations of all its components at a given time.

2. How does the Lagrangian vary with time?

The Lagrangian can vary with time in two ways: explicitly or implicitly. Explicit variation means that the Lagrangian itself is a function of time, while implicit variation means that the Lagrangian depends on other time-dependent quantities, such as the positions and velocities of the system.

3. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. In other words, the system will follow the path of least resistance or effort in its motion.

4. How is the Lagrangian used to derive the equations of motion?

The equations of motion can be derived from the Lagrangian using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which relate the values of the Lagrangian at different points in time to the positions and velocities of the system. These equations take into account the variation of time in the Lagrangian.

5. What is the significance of a time-dependent Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

A time-dependent Lagrangian allows for a more accurate description of the dynamics of a system, as it takes into account changes over time. It is particularly useful in systems where the external forces or constraints vary with time, such as in celestial mechanics or fluid dynamics.