What is the internal resistance r of the battery?

In summary, the potential difference across the terminals of a battery is 8.20 V when there is a current of 1.54 A in the battery from the negative to the positive terminal. When the current is 3.56 A in the reverse direction, the potential difference becomes 9.40 V. The internal resistance of the battery can be calculated by using the equations V_ab = E - Ir and solving for r, which gives a value of -0.416. However, since resistance cannot be negative, it is necessary to switch the sign of the current in the second equation. This results in a small value for the battery's internal resistance.
robbondo

Homework Statement

The potential difference across the terminals of a battery is 8.20 V when there is a current of 1.54 A in the battery from the negative to the positive terminal. When the current is 3.56 A in the reverse direction, the potential difference becomes 9.40 V. What is the internal resistance r of the battery?

Homework Equations

V_ab = E - Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that it would make no difference if the charge was reversed. So I just plugged the values into the equations, so since I have two equations and two variables I could solve for r.

8.56 = E - 1.54r -> E = 8.56 + 1.54r
9.40 = E - 3.56r -> E = 9.40 + 3.56r -
0 = -.84 - 2.02r
r = -.416

Obviously the resistance can't be negative. What am I doing wrong, does it have something to do with the reversing part of the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
robbondo said:

Homework Statement

The potential difference across the terminals of a battery is 8.20 V when there is a current of 1.54 A in the battery from the negative to the positive terminal. When the current is 3.56 A in the reverse direction, the potential difference becomes 9.40 V. What is the internal resistance r of the battery?

The Attempt at a Solution

8.56 = E - 1.54r -> E = 8.56 + 1.54r
9.40 = E - 3.56r -> E = 9.40 + 3.56r

In your second equation, remember that the direction of the current is reversed. (Just like in a pre-Star Wars science-fiction movie: "Reverse the polarity!")

I don't understand why that makes a difference, because won't the change in potential be the same? So what's negative the potential or the amps? I'm confused.

robbondo said:
I don't understand why that makes a difference, because won't the change in potential be the same? So what's negative the potential or the amps? I'm confused.

You are asked to reverse the direction of the current through the battery. In the first part, the current flows from the negative to positive terminal within the battery, so you may write

8.20 V = E (in V) - (1.54 A) · r (in ohms) ,

as you did.

But in the second part, we are told that the 3.56 A current is being applied in the opposite direction (positive to negative terminal inside the battery), so the sign of the current must be switched.

Thanks. I guess I need to go back and read up on charges deff. of a Coulomb and such. I knew the potential would be the same.

robbondo said:
Thanks. I guess I need to go back and read up on charges deff. of a Coulomb and such. I knew the potential would be the same.

You should get a small value for the battery's internal resistance. (It's typically a fraction of an ohm in such problems.)

1. What is internal resistance r of a battery?

Internal resistance r of a battery is the resistance that exists within the battery itself, resulting in a voltage drop when current flows through the battery. It is represented by the symbol 'r' and is measured in ohms.

2. Why is it important to know the internal resistance of a battery?

Knowing the internal resistance of a battery is important because it affects the overall performance of the battery. A higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in the voltage output and can also cause the battery to heat up and drain faster.

3. How is the internal resistance of a battery measured?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by using a multimeter. The multimeter is connected to the battery terminals and a known current is passed through the battery. The voltage drop across the battery is then measured and the internal resistance is calculated using Ohm's law (r = V/I).

4. Can the internal resistance of a battery be changed?

No, the internal resistance of a battery is a fixed property and cannot be changed. It is determined by the materials and construction of the battery and cannot be altered.

5. How does temperature affect the internal resistance of a battery?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the internal resistance of a battery. As the temperature increases, the internal resistance also increases, which can lead to a decrease in the battery's performance and lifespan. It is important to keep batteries in a cool and stable environment to minimize the effects of temperature on their internal resistance.