Concise and complete textbook on non-relativistic QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a concise and thorough introduction to non-relativistic quantum mechanics. Shankar is considered the most complete but verbose, while Landau's presentation is dated and not as rigorous. Ballentine is the closest to meeting the requirements, but has some errors. Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is suggested as a good option, but there is a discussion on what is meant by "complete". Griffiths, Scherrer, and Cohen-Tannoudji are mentioned as not meeting the requirements.
v0id
I've searched high and low for a terse (yet complete) introduction to the foundations of non-relativistic QM. Shankar is unparalleled in terms of completeness, yet it is infuriatingly verbose. Landau's presentation is a bit dated and difficult to follow in many instances. It is also not as mathematically rigorous as I'd like.

I'd say Ballentine has come closest to satisfying my aforementioned requirements, although it has many subtle errors (at least in its first couple of chapters). Are there any books I've missed in my search?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is terse and good. I'm not sure what you mean by complete.

Thanks, I had never heard of Dirac's book until now. By "complete", I mean self-contained, so the reader does not have to refer to external sources due to the author imprecisely glossing over important topics. Landau, Shankar and Ballentine are complete/comprehensive. Griffiths, Scherrer and Cohen-Tannoudji are not.

1. What is non-relativistic quantum mechanics?

Non-relativistic quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, where laws of classical mechanics do not apply. It uses mathematical principles to describe the properties of particles and their interactions.

2. How is non-relativistic QM different from classical mechanics?

Non-relativistic QM takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and the uncertainty principle, while classical mechanics assumes particles to have well-defined positions and velocities. Non-relativistic QM also allows for the study of systems with multiple particles and their interactions, while classical mechanics is limited to single particles.

3. What are some real-world applications of non-relativistic QM?

Non-relativistic QM is used in various fields such as chemistry, material science, and electronics. It helps in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and is essential in developing technologies such as transistors, lasers, and quantum computers.

4. What are the key principles of non-relativistic QM?

The key principles of non-relativistic QM include the superposition principle, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously; the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle; and the wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand non-relativistic QM?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary, it is not essential to have a strong mathematical background to understand non-relativistic QM. The concepts can be explained using analogies and visual aids, and mathematical calculations can be simplified for easier comprehension.