Capacitors - energy stored vs work done

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy stored in a 180 microfarad capacitor that is charged with a PD of 100v across the plates. The question then asks for the work done by the battery in charging the capacitor, which can be calculated using the equation W = QV = CV² and should yield 1.8J. The conversation also touches on the fact that the work done in charging the capacitor is different from the energy stored on it, and the thread provided explains that half the energy is lost during charging. However, the person is unsure about the thread's explanation.
RK1992
this isn't homework, I am doing revision for an exam :)

a 180 microfarad capacitor is charged so that is has a PD of 100v across the plates. i calculate the energy stored as 0.5cv² = 0.9J

the question then asks me to calculate the work done by the battery in charging the capacitor. the mark scheme says that i should use W = QV = CV² and should therefore get 1.8J

why is the work done in charging the capacitor different to the energy stored on it? i have never heard my teacher mention this fact in lessons, so i seriously have no idea where this has come from.. where does this equation come from? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
RK1992 said:
this isn't homework, I am doing revision for an exam :)

So work you're doing at home, but not homework? :wink:
a 180 microfarad capacitor is charged so that is has a PD of 100v across the plates. i calculate the energy stored as 0.5cv² = 0.9J

the question then asks me to calculate the work done by the battery in charging the capacitor. the mark scheme says that i should use W = QV = CV² and should therefore get 1.8J

why is the work done in charging the capacitor different to the energy stored on it? i have never heard my teacher mention this fact in lessons, so i seriously have no idea where this has come from.. where does this equation come from? thanks

Well firstly, do you believe the energy it takes to charge the capacitor should equal the energy stored on it?

jarednjames said:
So work you're doing at home, but not homework? :wink:
yes, I am a geek :p

jarednjames said:
Well firstly, do you believe the energy it takes to charge the capacitor should equal the energy stored on it?

well no some will dissipate right.. but this isn't charging through a resistor so surely 99% of the energy used charging will be stored?

RK1992 said:
yes, I am a geek :p

I meant, work you do at home = homework.
well no some will dissipate right.. but this isn't charging through a resistor so surely 99% of the energy used charging will be stored?

99% is a very specific number you picked there. Do you have the calcs to back it up?

If you work through the calcs you'll see that half the energy is lost when charging.

Here is a similar thread answering the question for you: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=292838

jarednjames said:
I meant, work you do at home = homework.
hm i don't think so, its revision :S

jarednjames said:
99% is a very specific number you picked there. Do you have the calcs to back it up?

If you work through the calcs you'll see that half the energy is lost when charging.

Here is a similar thread answering the question for you: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=292838
i just meant most, really..

okay thanks, although I am not sure i understand that thread particularly well :/

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor stores energy by accumulating an electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied across the capacitor, electrons accumulate on one plate while an equal number of electrons are removed from the other plate. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy.

3. What is the relationship between energy stored and work done for a capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the work done on it. This means that the more energy that is stored in the capacitor, the more work has been done to charge it. Similarly, if work is done on the capacitor, its energy storage will increase.

4. Can a capacitor store unlimited amounts of energy?

No, a capacitor has a maximum energy storage capacity determined by its capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the more energy it can store. Once it reaches its maximum capacity, it cannot store any more energy and may become damaged if more energy is forced into it.

5. How is the energy stored in a capacitor used?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be used in various electronic circuits as a source of electrical energy. It can also be used to regulate the flow of electricity, act as a filter, or store and release energy in a controlled manner. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, cameras, and power supplies.