Oh noes Site fails to open stream (403)

• Bug
  • Thread starter Hobin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a warning message that appears when trying to access the physicsforums.com website. The warning is related to a server-side script and is being looked into by the site administrator. The issue seems to have been resolved at the time of the conversation.
Hobin
[SOLVED] Oh noes! Site fails to open stream (403)

When I open physicsforums.com, I get the following error at the top of the page:

Code:
Warning: file_get_contents(https://www.physicsforums.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=186) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/init.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 218

Warning: file_get_contents(https://www.physicsforums.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=186) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in [path]/includes/init.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 218

The site seems to work fine, but it looks ugly nonetheless. I'm wondering if anyone else's having this error, or if someone's currently making modifications to the site. This is the first time I got this error. I checked the site about three hours ago, too, and I didn't get an error at that time.

EDIT: I only get this at the index page, not in any of the boards/threads.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Same here (using chrome), only at the first screen though.

Andre said:
(using chrome)
I don't think it's browser related. The warning is clearly from a server-side script, so the only way it wouldn't show in another browser is if it wouldn't display such warnings on default (which is just plain wrong).

But, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know if everyone's getting these warnings, after all.

We have some server problems, Greg is working on it.

Problem looks to be cleared now...

Yep. The problem's gone.

What does "Oh noes Site fails to open stream (403)" mean?

When a website shows the error message "Oh noes Site fails to open stream (403)", it means that the server has denied access to the requested resource. This can happen due to a variety of reasons such as incorrect permissions, server configuration, or authentication issues.

Why does this error occur?

This error can occur due to several reasons. Some common causes include incorrect file permissions, misconfigured server settings, or issues with authentication. It can also happen if the website is down or undergoing maintenance.

How can I fix this error?

To fix this error, you can try the following steps: 1) Check the file permissions and make sure they are set correctly. 2) Make sure the server settings are configured properly. 3) Check if there are any authentication issues. 4) Contact the website owner or webmaster for assistance. 5) If the website is down, try again later.

Can I prevent this error from happening?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent this error from happening, you can take some precautions such as ensuring correct file permissions, regularly checking server settings, and keeping your website up to date. It is also important to have a backup plan in case the error does occur.

Is this error dangerous for my website?

This error is not inherently dangerous for your website. However, if it occurs frequently, it can lead to a poor user experience and potentially impact your website's traffic and search engine rankings. It is important to address this error promptly to avoid any negative consequences.