Using iTex and TeX Tags for TeX: Feasible Conversion?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter morphism
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of itex and tex tags to enclose TeX instead of the standard $ and $$ symbols. The possibility of converting to the latter is also mentioned, with the idea being welcomed by the person speaking. It is also mentioned that this topic may have been discussed before. A link to a relevant thread is provided.
morphism
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there a good reason for why we're using itex and tex tags to enclose TeX instead of the standard (and much easier to type) $ and $$? Would it be at all feasible (or desirable) to convert to the latter? I know I for one would greatly welcome such a conversion!

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
morphism said:
Is there a good reason for why we're using itex and tex tags to enclose TeX instead of the standard (and much easier to type) $ and $$? Would it be at all feasible (or desirable) to convert to the latter? I know I for one would greatly welcome such a conversion!

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find anything.

Maybe you can :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

1. What is iTex and TeX Tags?

iTex and TeX Tags are programming languages used for typesetting and formatting documents, particularly in the scientific and academic communities. They were developed by Donald Knuth in the 1970s and are still widely used today.

2. How do I convert my document to iTex or TeX format?

To convert your document to iTex or TeX format, you will need to use a conversion tool or write the code manually. There are several conversion tools available online, such as Pandoc or LaTeX2RTF, which can convert your document to a variety of formats including iTex and TeX. Alternatively, if you are comfortable with coding, you can write the code yourself using a text editor and the appropriate syntax.

3. What are the benefits of using iTex and TeX Tags?

iTex and TeX Tags offer several benefits for typesetting and formatting documents. They provide precise control over the layout and formatting of text, equations, and graphics, making them ideal for scientific and technical documents. They also have a wide range of formatting options and are highly customizable.

4. Are there any limitations to using iTex and TeX Tags?

While iTex and TeX Tags are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. They require some knowledge of coding and can be challenging for beginners to learn. Additionally, they may not be suitable for documents with complex layouts or non-scientific content.

5. Can I use iTex and TeX Tags with other software?

Yes, iTex and TeX Tags can be used with other software, such as word processors or graphics programs. You can either convert your document to iTex or TeX format and then import it into the software, or you can use a plugin or add-on to incorporate iTex or TeX code directly into your document. However, the compatibility may vary depending on the software and the complexity of your document.