How does one break a glass bottle and have smooth edges

In summary, the goal is to have broken glass with no sharp edges for crafting purposes. The process involves heating the glass in an oven, removing it with a broom stick, and then placing it in a bucket of ice water to prevent sharp edges. Other methods such as using silicon carbide sandpaper, a rock tumbler, or a kiln can also be used to smooth the glass edges. However, it may take some trial and error and caution must be taken when handling the glass.
Kmccall
Okay, here is a question that I have not been able to get answered. My Grandmother, when she was alive made crafts out of broken glass. The goal was to have broken glass with no sharp edges. These are the steps. First she would heat the bottle in the oven. Then she would remove the bottle using a broom stick. She placed the bottle in a bucket of ice water. She told me this would prevent the glass from having sharp edges. So I tried doing this and I was not successful. She is not alive for me to ask her what steps I may have missed. I have talked with other friends and they recall this art form. The glass is all broken and there are no sharp edges and the glue the small chunks together in the shape of a Christmas tree on plywood. I know this is long and drawn out, but if there is anyone in the physics forum that can help me it would be so helpful. I am an artist and I would love to use broken glass with no sharp edges as a medium for my art.
Thank you for you time in helping me with this problem.
kathleenmccallartist.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Kmccall said:
Okay, here is a question that I have not been able to get answered. My Grandmother, when she was alive made crafts out of broken glass. The goal was to have broken glass with no sharp edges. These are the steps. First she would heat the bottle in the oven. Then she would remove the bottle using a broom stick. She placed the bottle in a bucket of ice water. She told me this would prevent the glass from having sharp edges. So I tried doing this and I was not successful. She is not alive for me to ask her what steps I may have missed. I have talked with other friends and they recall this art form. The glass is all broken and there are no sharp edges and the glue the small chunks together in the shape of a Christmas tree on plywood. I know this is long and drawn out, but if there is anyone in the physics forum that can help me it would be so helpful. I am an artist and I would love to use broken glass with no sharp edges as a medium for my art.
Thank you for you time in helping me with this problem.
kathleenmccallartist.com

Grandmothers are so special.

I think that the temperature that the glass is heated to would be crucial. It may take some trial and error. And be careful. I couldn't find anything on Google.

I am not sure that current glass bottles are of the same type as your grandmother used.

I have used silicon carbide sand paper to smooth pieces of sharp glass, so that I could glue them to a rock. Be really careful with this also. I wore heavy welding gloves.

I also have read that pieces of broken glass can be smoothed off in a rock tumbler (polisher).

Heating pieces of glass in a kiln can also make the edges slump.

1. How does the shape of the bottle affect the ease of breaking and the smoothness of the edges?

The shape of the bottle can greatly impact the ease of breaking and the smoothness of the edges. Bottles with sharp angles or ridges are more difficult to break and may result in jagged edges. On the other hand, bottles with smooth, rounded shapes are easier to break and tend to have smoother edges.

2. What is the best method for breaking a glass bottle to achieve smooth edges?

The best method for breaking a glass bottle and obtaining smooth edges is by using a glass cutter. This tool allows for precision in creating a clean break along the desired line. It is important to use the cutter in a fluid motion and avoid any jerking or sudden movements to prevent uneven edges.

3. Can tapping the bottle on a hard surface break it and result in smooth edges?

No, tapping a glass bottle on a hard surface is not a reliable method for breaking the bottle and achieving smooth edges. This method often results in uneven breaks and can be dangerous as the bottle may shatter unpredictably. It is best to use a tool specifically designed for cutting glass.

4. What precautions should be taken when breaking a glass bottle to avoid injury?

When breaking a glass bottle, it is important to wear protective gloves and eyewear to prevent any cuts or shards of glass from causing injury. It is also recommended to work on a flat, stable surface and to keep the bottle at a safe distance from your body while breaking it.

5. Can the temperature of the bottle affect the ease of breaking and the smoothness of the edges?

Yes, the temperature of the bottle can play a role in how easily it breaks and the smoothness of the edges. Glass bottles that are warm or have been heated are more likely to break in a cleaner, more precise manner. On the other hand, cold bottles or those that have been in the freezer may shatter unpredictably and result in uneven edges.