Forces Acting on Accelerating Car

In summary, an accelerating car experiences forces due to aerodynamic drag, gravity, rolling friction, and the inertia of the vehicle. The force due to inertia is equal to the product of the mass of the vehicle and its acceleration, as explained by the second law of motion. While sometimes helpful in certain problems, inertial forces are not real and should be avoided. The real forces acting on an accelerating car are gravity, normal force, drag, rolling friction, and a traction force provided by the friction between the tires and the ground.
patriots21
Good day to all. I'm working on something that requires me to determine the forces acting on an accelerating vehicle. I have been receiving some prior instruction from someone I know and he tells me that quite simply, an accelerating car would experience forces (1) due to the aerodynamic drag, (2) due to gravity, (3) due to rolling friction and finally (4) a force due to the inertia of the vehicle. I understand the first three quite well but the last one has been troubling me all day. This force, as I'm told, is equal to the product of the mass of the vehicle and its acceleration, as explained by the second law of motion. Is it correct that there is in fact an actual non-fictitious force that acts on the accelerating vehicle that opposes its change in velocity, and thus acts on the opposite direction of the motion of the vehicle? Or if you see something's a miss with what I have here to begin with just hit me up.

I'm trying to develop a simple simulation and I want to get as many of the forces as I can right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm new here so please let me know if I did anything wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_(physics )

there's a section on misconceptions when people attempt to apply the for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the equation F=ma
To change the velocity of a mass m , one provides a force F to the mass, giving an acceleration a.
http://www.dynamicscience.com.au/tester/solutions/flight/velocity/force.htm

Of course if you push on your car ( ie motor ), the force to accelerate your car would be Fnet which is the force after subtracting wind resistance and rolling resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once in a car accident where I ran into another car in my path. The force due to the accident on the FRONT of my car was severe enough that the BACK, behind the rear wheels, was actually buckled. This is because even though the front has stopped, the back has inertia: it wants to keep going. If you try to accelerate it (or decelerate, in my case) hard enough, its inertia will push back just as hard...to the point of buckling in this case.

Of course, the inertia of the whole car is also the reason why the entire front end was smashed. The acceleration on the car was so high that it probably required tens of thousands of pounds of force to overcome the inertia. All this force was applied to the bumper, and so of course it and most of what it was attached to has been severely warped, me being a notable exception :approve:

patriots21 said:
Good day to all. I'm working on something that requires me to determine the forces acting on an accelerating vehicle. I have been receiving some prior instruction from someone I know and he tells me that quite simply, an accelerating car would experience forces (1) due to the aerodynamic drag, (2) due to gravity, (3) due to rolling friction and finally (4) a force due to the inertia of the vehicle. I understand the first three quite well but the last one has been troubling me all day. This force, as I'm told, is equal to the product of the mass of the vehicle and its acceleration, as explained by the second law of motion. Is it correct that there is in fact an actual non-fictitious force that acts on the accelerating vehicle that opposes its change in velocity, and thus acts on the opposite direction of the motion of the vehicle? Or if you see something's a miss with what I have here to begin with just hit me up.

I'm trying to develop a simple simulation and I want to get as many of the forces as I can right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm new here so please let me know if I did anything wrong.
Inertial forces are make-believe. It is sometimes helpful to use them in certain problems, and they stem from Newton'd 2nd law, where F_net = ma. Rearranging that equation , F_net - ma = 0, where here, the term '-ma'...equal and opposite to the net force..., is called the inertial force. I tend to stay away from these imaginary forces most of the time.

So, anyway, let's look at the real forces acting on the car accelerating from left to right. In the vertical direction, there is gravity acting down and the normal force of the ground on the tires acting up. In the horizontal direction, there is the drag and rolling friction acting leftward, which you have identified. But since the car is moving and accelerating to the right, there must be a rightward force acting on it, and a real one at that. This force is sometimes called a traction force , and is nothing more than the driving force of friction between the road and tires. The friction acts rightward as the engine spins the wheels clockwise causing them to push backwards on the ground..hence the forward direction of the friction force. No friction, no acceleration, as the wheels would spin hopelessly in place, and the car would go nowhere.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How do forces affect the acceleration of a car?

Forces can either increase or decrease the acceleration of a car. When a force is applied in the same direction as the car's motion, it will increase the acceleration. On the other hand, a force in the opposite direction will decrease the acceleration.

3. What are the main forces acting on an accelerating car?

The main forces acting on an accelerating car are the engine force, friction force, and air resistance force. The engine force propels the car forward, while the friction force and air resistance force act in the opposite direction, slowing down the car's acceleration.

4. How does the mass of a car affect the forces acting on it?

The mass of a car affects the forces acting on it in two ways. First, a heavier car will require more force to accelerate compared to a lighter car. Second, a heavier car will have more inertia and will be more resistant to changes in motion caused by external forces.

5. Can you explain Newton's Second Law of Motion in relation to forces acting on an accelerating car?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of an accelerating car, the net force is equal to the engine force minus the friction and air resistance forces. The larger the net force, the greater the acceleration of the car. Similarly, the larger the mass of the car, the smaller the acceleration for a given net force.