Finding the ratio ω/ωo of an underdamped oscillator

In summary: Thank you for your help guys!In summary, the amplitude of an underdamped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value after m complete oscillations. Using the equations x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) and ω1 = √(ω02-β2), the ratio ω1/ω0 can be approximated as 0.9975.
HiggsBrozon

Homework Statement

The amplitude of an underdamped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value
after m complete oscillations. Find an approximate value for the ratio ω/ω0.

Homework Equations

x''+2βx'+ω02x = 0 where β=b/2m and ω0=√(k/m)

x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω1 has been defined as ω022

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial amplitude is equal to A0 = Ae-βt
and the final amplitude after m oscillations is equal to A0(1/e) = Af = Ae-(βt+1)

After this I honestly don't know where to go. I tried plugging in my Af into the underdamped motion equation and solving for ω but that didn't seem to make any sense. I'm assuming that ω0 will be equal to just √(k/m)?
Also, I thought that the frequency of an underdamped oscillator didn't change over time. So why would the angular frequency change?
If anyone could give me a push in the right direction that would be very helpful. I've been working on this for a quite while now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, I think we'd have [itex] w^{2} = w_{0}^{2} - \beta ^{2} [/itex]. I'm actually more accustomed to writing [itex] w^{2} = w_{0}^{2} - \frac{\gamma ^{2}}{4} [/itex] , but regardless, you've goofed up your amplitude relationships.

After m periods, [itex] t = Tm [/itex] where [itex] T [/itex] is the period of oscillation in seconds. This also means the cosine term will have the same value as it does at [itex] t=0 [/itex].

Thus, your equation should be [itex] A(t=Tm) = A_{0} e^{-1} = A_{0} e^{-\beta T m} \Rightarrow \beta T m = 1 [/itex]

See if you can go from there.

Also, what makes you think the angular frequency is changing? Even with your incorrect equation, I don't see how you would make that deduction.

HiggsBrozon said:

Homework Statement

The amplitude of an underdamped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value
after m complete oscillations. Find an approximate value for the ratio ω1/ω0.

Homework Equations

x''+2βx'+ω02x = 0 where β=b/2m and ω0=√(k/m)

x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω12 has been defined as ω022.

First, without loss of generality, let δ = 0 since this is related to initial conditions & you weren't given any.

So the 1st (initial) amplitude is Aexp(-βt) with t=0.
And at the end of 1 cycle, which lasts t = ? seconds, what is the amplitude in terms of A, β and ω1? And so on 'till at the end of 5 cycles?

And what did the problem say the amplitude after 5 cycles was as a % of the first amplitude?
So how about an equation in β and ω1 plus the equation I corrected for you above (in red)?

Last edited:
My apologies on the late reply guys. It was a late night and I ended up finishing the problem the following morning. Thanks for your help!

For my equation of motion I used x(t) = Ae-βtcos(ω1t) = Ae-βmTcos(ω1mT)
where ω1 = √(ω022) (and yes my original formula was missing a square root.)
and T = 2pi/ω1

The cosine term is always equal to 1 so
x(t) = Ae-βmT = A/e
Therefore, βmT = 1
→ β = 1/(mT) = ω1/(2pim)

ω10 = √(ω022)/ω0 = √(1-β202) = 1 - β2/(2ω02) = 1 - 1/(8pi2m2)

What is an underdamped oscillator?

An underdamped oscillator is a type of harmonic oscillator that is subject to a damping force, meaning that it experiences resistance or friction as it oscillates. This results in the amplitude of the oscillations decreasing over time.

What is the ratio ω/ωo?

The ratio ω/ωo is a dimensionless quantity that represents the frequency of the oscillations of an underdamped oscillator compared to its natural frequency. It is often used in the analysis and characterization of underdamped oscillators.

How do you find the ratio ω/ωo?

The ratio ω/ωo can be found by dividing the actual frequency (ω) of the underdamped oscillator by its natural frequency (ωo). The natural frequency is determined by the mass and stiffness of the oscillator, while the actual frequency can be measured experimentally or calculated using mathematical models.

What is the significance of the ratio ω/ωo?

The ratio ω/ωo provides valuable information about the behavior of an underdamped oscillator. If the ratio is close to 1, it indicates that the oscillator is close to its natural frequency and is not heavily damped. If the ratio is much less than 1, it indicates that the oscillator is heavily damped and the amplitude of the oscillations will decrease rapidly. If the ratio is much greater than 1, it indicates that the oscillator is lightly damped and the amplitude of the oscillations will slowly decrease over time.

How is the ratio ω/ωo used in real-world applications?

The ratio ω/ωo is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology, to analyze and understand the behavior of underdamped oscillators. It is also used in designing and optimizing systems that involve oscillations, such as mechanical and electrical systems. In biology, the ratio is often used to study cellular processes that involve oscillations, such as the beating of the heart or the firing of neurons.